This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2013 9:02 PM by 939520 RSS

A quick question about java capabilities

987335 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello everyone,

I would like to create a software that allow the user to draw piping & instrumentation diagram for the oil & gas industry. As I don't have any programming skills for the moment I am looking for the right tool language that I have to learn to build such software.

In other words once the software created the user will choose from the equipment symbols list ( like this one [http://www.cadtoolsonline.com/pid-valves.jpg] ) and will create a drawing ( like this one [http://ardnas20.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/pid-2.jpg] ) using a drag & drop feature.

My question: is java able to do something like this ? if yes what should I learn exactly ? if no I would really apreciate if you tell me what language can do it ?

Thank you !

w

Edited by: 984332 on 26 janv. 2013 13:38

Edited by: 984332 on 26 janv. 2013 13:41
  • 1. Re: A quick question about java capabilities
    TPD-Opitz-Consulting-com Expert
    Welcome to the forum.
    984332 wrote:
    I would like to create a software that allow the user to draw piping & instrumentation diagram for the oil & gas industry. As I don't have any programming skills for the moment I am looking for the right tool language that I have to learn to build such software.
    At first: this is possible with Java as it is with any other programming language.

But: there are quite some programs out there meeting your requirements, starting by MS Visio.

What you have in mind is a "Computer Aided Design" (CAD) tool. There are some out there and they have a price for a reason: Doing this right means more than drawing some lines. Especially in the field you ar aiming at 3 dimensional calculations a important.

Depending on what your personal goal is (beeing a programmer or working in the oil & gas industry) you should either aquire another project or learn one (or some) of the CAD programs available.

bye
    TPD
  • 2. Re: A quick question about java capabilities
    939520 Explorer
    I agree with the previous post. You would have to be a very experienced Java developer to develop such a tool. Even then, existing products (weather they were done in Java or not) were developed by teams of developers using many man-years of effort. Also, they most likely designed it according to agreed upon industry standards that users would expect, rather than your own design.

If you want to become a Java developer, I suggest you read a beginning book on Java cover to cover, work through some of its examples on the command line (to see what the compiler, etc does for you), then download Eclipse IDE and work through more of the book examples. You can get such a book at amazon.com. Look for a book with good reviews. Then, after reading several dozen books on Java related technologies and designing and programming many programs over several years, you will be an experienced developer. There really isn't any short cut to what I outlined. I think the project you mentioned is way to advanced for you at this time.

If instead of being a Java developer, you are in the oil & gas industry and are just looking for a product, I suggest you search for professional products that accomplish this that are widely used in the industry. Then see if you can download it and use a simplified version of the software for free or a greatly reduced price. Many companies do so. Alternately, the simplest solution may be to use Microsoft Visio. However, the features you want may (or may not) be in Visio Professional which may cost more than you are willing to pay.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points