This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 1:46 PM by jgarry RSS

license Formula

987527 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear Oracle Experts,

We are using online web based application in PHP and mysql database.

There is heavy load in database. We are planing to migrate to Oracle.

Database user is One, but it creates 100 or even 1000 of sessions from web based application.

How will be license price calculated ?? Which license it will be ?

Thanking you in advance.
  • 1. Re: license Formula
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    984524 wrote:
    Dear Oracle Experts,

Database user is One, but it creates 100 or even 1000 of sessions from web based application.

Thanking you in advance.
    For license question it's better contact oracle office / Sales Dept in your country (Local_office) they will provide with information you need.
  • 2. Re: license Formula
    ji li Pro
    Oracle bases their licensing on each connection.
    In your case, depending if you are using Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition, it may be more beneficial to use processor based licensing.
    You really have to review the number of processors on your server, and compare the pricing accordingly.
    This is not that difficult to do if you dig into it and compare using SE or EE and CPUs verses Named User Plus licenses.
  • 3. Re: license Formula
    987527 Newbie
    ji li wrote:
    In your case, depending if you are using Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition, it may be more beneficial to use processor based licensing.
    You really have to review the number of processors on your server, and compare the pricing accordingly.
    This is not that difficult to do if you dig into it and compare using SE or EE and CPUs verses Named User Perpetual licenses.
    Sir,

I didn't get what do you mean by each connection ?

If I say I have 8 CPU or 4 CPU and I go with SE or EE then ?
  • 4. Re: license Formula
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    984524 wrote:
    ji li wrote:
    This is not that difficult to do if you dig into it and compare using SE or EE and CPUs verses Named User Perpetual licenses.
    Sir,

no one could give you details as much sales dept in Oracle local office .
  • 5. Re: license Formula
    JohnWatson Guru
    Osama_mustafa wrote:
    984524 wrote:
    ji li wrote:
    Sir,

no one could give you details as much sales dept in Oracle local office .
    Your Oracle sales office will advise you, but they are not famous for advising on how to keep licensing costs down. They rarely recommend SE1 when EE will do.

However, you have little choice:

You cannot use named-user licensing, because you can't name your users. Therefore you must use CPU licensing.
    If you have 8 CPUs, you must use Enterprise Edition.
    If you have 4 CPUs, you can use either Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition (not Standard Edition 1).

You might want to go through a re-seller, such as the people I work for. We have had some success at identfying solutions based on SE where the obvious solution was to use EE facilities.
  • 6. Re: license Formula
    jgarry Guru
    You can use SE, but you need EE to use Oracle tools to figure out what your inevitable performance problems are. There are other tools, of course.

The faq has a pretty good explanation, especially if you look at the links to Oracle licensing docs: http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_licensing

But remember, anything on the internet may lie or mislead, and anything a salesperson tells you may lie or mislead. So figure out as much as you can from the online information available before you talk to a salesperson, and talk to any contract admins or purchasing negotiating types at your company that you can. There are also companies specializing in licensing who may be worth it when you are talking big bucks. Some people say no one pays list price.
  • 7. Re: license Formula
    Mark Malakanov (user11181920) Expert
    Have you tested your app with Oracle? Is it faster?
    Oracle has two major method for licensing:
    1 - Named Users. Each user (human or not) must be licensed. It does not matter if user sessions are concentrated via one DB session. You still have to buy 1000 licenses if you have 1000 app users.

2 - Processor License. Each "Processor" must be licensed. Term "Processor" differs for different hardware. There are coefficients how to translate your real CPUs/Sockets/Cores to a "Processor". See here http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/contracts/processor-core-factor-table-070634.pdf
    Here you do not care how many users you have.

Also there are editions - XE (free), Standard One, Standard, Enterprise and Personal. Look here http://www.oracle.com/us/products/database/enterprise-edition/comparisons/index.html
    Read carefully - each edition has limitations for volume, hardware, availability of options etc...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points