This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 10:18 AM by Kofi RSS

How to share Global Page across multiple applications

980912 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I have APEX 4.2 via pl/sql gateway, Oracle 11gr2 DB and using theme 24.

I have about 40 applications in 1 workspace and I need to create a global page that is going to be the same for each app. One way of doing this is I can manually do the change 40 times but I'm looking for an easier way.

If you look at the packaged app "Dynamic Sample" you would notice a left sidebar which acts like a menu. Basically I want to do the same but just image each item on the sidebar belongs to a separate application.

I have app1 which has the login and left sidebar navigation. Each option on the sidebar list would call a page on app2 to app40 but I need to retain the sidebar when displaying the page from a different app.

If I tried to imp a global page I get an error that the application ID is different.

If I tried to copy the global page to another app it changes the type to a navigation form which prevents the list from coming up for every page on the app.

Thanks in advance!
  • 1. Re: How to share Global Page across multiple applications
    Howard (... in Training) Pro
    Agreed. It can't seem to be done this way.

Howard

Edited by: Howard (DBA in Training) on Jan 28, 2013 7:57 PM

(more) But if you could, would it be a good idea? I assume you want just one copy of the code. Can you get that another way? Page zero needs a list of page numbers. Would that be common to all the applications?
  • 2. Re: How to share Global Page across multiple applications
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Try looking for documentation on building a MASTER Application.. That way you can have Multiple applications subscribe to your master application and inherit changes when you update/enhance it..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Ruckersville, VA
  • 3. Re: How to share Global Page across multiple applications
    980912 Newbie
    Hi Tony,
    I searched the forum and the doc but could not find anything on creating a master app.

Can you help me with this? thanks!
  • 4. Re: How to share Global Page across multiple applications
    riedelme Expert
    kvsinfo wrote:
    Hi,
    I have APEX 4.2 via pl/sql gateway, Oracle 11gr2 DB and using theme 24.

I have about 40 applications in 1 workspace and I need to create a global page that is going to be the same for each app. One way of doing this is I can manually do the change 40 times but I'm looking for an easier way.
    Does the page have to be secure? If not can you create a new application without a login, put the "global" page there, and link to it from the other applications? Is there another way to put a generic page somewhere you can get to it outside Apex?

>
    If you look at the packaged app "Dynamic Sample" you would notice a left sidebar which acts like a menu. Basically I want to do the same but just image each item on the sidebar belongs to a separate application.

I have app1 which has the login and left sidebar navigation. Each option on the sidebar list would call a page on app2 to app40 but I need to retain the sidebar when displaying the page from a different app.

If I tried to imp a global page I get an error that the application ID is different.

If I tried to copy the global page to another app it changes the type to a navigation form which prevents the list from coming up for every page on the app.

Thanks in advance!
  • 5. Re: How to share Global Page across multiple applications
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Link to thread I was thinking of: APEX Limitation: Sharing pages across multiple APEX applications

This will allow you to share Theme changes, not actual pages. My mistake.... To do what your asking for would involve more work to build a framework app, and then copy it each time you need a new application..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Ruckersville, VA
  • 6. Re: How to share Global Page across multiple applications
    980912 Newbie
    I'm still a newbie in APEX but I thought the main reason for having a theme so the look and feel are all the same across apps. I'm currently using the theme 24 cloudy but i'm still in the testing phase and for the actual product we are considering buying a packaged theme.

Is it correct to assume that if I switch between themes then all look and feel will change based on the new theme setup.

Collection of templates is a theme? if it is true when would you change the theme vs changing and publishing a specific template?

It seems like the master app is a template that has been published and other apps subscribe?

Thanks!
  • 7. Re: How to share Global Page across multiple applications
    Kofi Journeyer
    I do have some regions that are shared across all my applications but they are not very complex so I am able to get away with using a PL/SQL region based on a stored procedure. In theory you could do the same though a navigation region of that type could be much more complex to build.
    Kofi

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points