This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 9:56 PM by AmitGolia RSS

database file size

908380 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I have a database in which two table contains millions of data and the whole database size is getting more bigger. is there any option to archive the old data which has stored before 2012 and can be restored when the data required for 2011 or 2010 needed.
Please suggest if there is any method.
  • 1. Re: database file size
    sb92075 Guru
    905377 wrote:
    Hi,
    I have a database in which two table contains millions of data and the whole database size is getting more bigger. is there any option to archive the old data which has stored before 2012 and can be restored when the data required for 2011 or 2010 needed.
    if query does not ask for 2010 or 2010 data, it does not matter if the data is in the DB or not.
  • 2. Re: database file size
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    905377 wrote:
    Hi,
    I think that this can be done via partitioning. Using the partitions and storing them in a separate tablespace, you can purge the partition when it's not needed and taking a backup of the partition tablespace would safeguard for any sort of crashes as well.

Aman....
  • 3. Re: database file size
    yoonas Expert
    Hi,

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:474460034107

Regards
    Yoonas
  • 4. Re: database file size
    AmitGolia Newbie
    Yes, partitioning is the good option. You can archive the old data into warehouse using copy from

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/partconc.htm
    Common Questions On The Partitioning Option Installed In the Oracle Database (Licensing, Install, Remove) [ID 1312416.1]
    How To Partition Existing Table Using DBMS_Redefinition [ID 472449.1]

Thanks,
    Amit Golia

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points