8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 12:06 AM by NexusChris RSS

rwclient is failed to use in jdev 11g + weblogic 10.3.x

NexusChris
      Hi all

Recently we have migration from jdev 10g / 10g AS to jdev 11g / weblogic 10.3.x. After migration we found the reporting function using rwclient is failed to run.
      We then discovered the report can be run by using url calls rwservlet (http://server/reports/rwservlet?...). Anyone know how rwclient works and how rwclient
      locate reports server instance. Thanks

The setting in web.xml is

<servlet>
      <servlet-name>rwservlet</servlet-name>
      <servlet-class>oracle.reports.rwclient.RWClient</servlet-class>
      <load-on-startup>yes</load-on-startup>
      </servlet>
      <servlet-mapping>
      <servlet-name>rwservlet</servlet-name>
      <url-pattern>/rwservlet*</url-pattern>
      </servlet-mapping>

PS. we also migrated report server to 11g and running on weblogic.

Cheers
      Chris
        • 1. Re: rwclient is failed to use in jdev 11g + weblogic 10.3.x
          Rzuluaga - Oracle-Oracle
          Hi Chris,
          the same reports discovery mechanism is used by rwservlet and by rwclient. What is the error you are getting when using rwclient? This could help to narrow down issue further.

Regards, RZ
          • 2. Re: rwclient is failed to use in jdev 11g + weblogic 10.3.x
            NexusChris
            Hi RZ

very thanks for your reply. what we saw the error from the browser is HTTP 500, but no error is found from our log. We have put to debug mode and trace up to the entrance of oracle.rwclient.RWClient, hence we got no idea here.

We are currently migrating from 10g AS to 11g Weblogic. 10g was working very fine and report server to us seems transparent. Since we lost all knowledge from 10g setup, we don't how 10g was set that RWClient can locate rwserver.exe service and we had tried some ports all failed to trigger it. We only know rwserver.exe is running at the back but have no idea how it is related with the RWClient in our appl web.xml.

Chris

Edited by: Nexus Chris on Jun 29, 2012 3:59 PM
            • 3. Re: rwclient is failed to use in jdev 11g + weblogic 10.3.x
              Rzuluaga - Oracle-Oracle
              Hi Chris,
              My understanding from your original post was that reports running with rwclient failed but with rwservlet (web) they worked.

From your last update and the error you are saying you are getting (http-500) I can say that you got that error when running reports from rwservlet (web).

1- Do the reports work if running with rwclient?

2- If the reports only fail when running with rwservlet (http-500) then the problem is not reports server related but SERVLET related ..problems in rwservlet.properties file.

3- Confirm if you are able to run this command
              e.g
              http://yourhostname:port/reports/rwservlet

Thanks, RZ
              • 4. Re: rwclient is failed to use in jdev 11g + weblogic 10.3.x
                NexusChris
                Hi RZ

thanks for replying and apologize if what I said was misleading. The problem occurs when using rwclient, not rwservlet. I can connect with everything fine using http://host:port/reports/rwservlet?{params}. But since the original setup before migration from 10g was using rwclient defined in web.xml, I m trying to use that instead of using rwservlet.

original setting from 10g (FAILED HTTP500):
                page.jsp -> call <servlet-name>rwclient</servlet-name> -> map to <servlet-class>oracle.reports.rwclient.RWClient</servlet-class> -> failed

new setting (works)
                page.jsp -> call http://host:port/reports/rwservlet?{params} -> report

*** I put efforts on this matter since I want minimize changes from migration, and also dont want to use rwservlet as it provides another entrance to the system from public rise security concerns.

Thx
                Chris
                • 5. Re: rwclient is failed to use in jdev 11g + weblogic 10.3.x
                  Rzuluaga - Oracle-Oracle
                  Chris,
                  let me know the full rwclient command you are using to run your reports and let me know the error or behavior you are getting when running with rwclient.

Thanks, Roberto
                  • 6. Re: rwclient is failed to use in jdev 11g + weblogic 10.3.x
                    NexusChris
                    Hi and Thx RZ

Here is my code:

::: XXXAction.java :::
                    public ActionForward execute (...) {
                       return ((ActionMapping) mapping).findForward("report");
                    }
                    ::: struts-config.xml :::
                        <action path="/Report" type="package.XXXAction">    
                            <forward name="report" path="/reports/rwclient"/>
                        </action-->
                    ::: web.xml :::
                      <servlet>
                            <servlet-name>rwclient</servlet-name>
                            <servlet-class>oracle.reports.rwclient.RWClient</servlet-class>
                            <load-on-startup>3</load-on-startup>
                      </servlet>
                      <servlet-mapping>
                            <servlet-name>rwclient</servlet-name>
                            <url-pattern>/reports/rwclient**</url-pattern>  
                      </servlet-mapping>
                    These pieces of codes works fine in 10g running rwserver as system service. I could see any servlet started in 10g environment unless I overlooked sth. Thanks for your help.

Chris
                    • 7. Re: rwclient is failed to use in jdev 11g + weblogic 10.3.x
                      Rzuluaga - Oracle-Oracle
                      Hi Chris,
                      as in 11g now we use WLS I am not sure if what you did in 10g is now possible in 11g.

1- What is the error when you run your report in 11g?
                      2- What is the location of the web.xml being used in 11g?

Thanks< Roberto
                      • 8. Re: rwclient is failed to use in jdev 11g + weblogic 10.3.x
                        NexusChris
                        Hi all

We have given up the use of rwclient instead using rwservlet and hide from public by putting it on a localhost server instance. Since no matter how we did it still return HTTP 500 error by using the old setting, anyway thanks for Roberto and all others' input.

Chris