1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 7:42 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
        Ant13
        On step 3 of 3: Oracle database install on Windows Home versions - Part 3 of 3

When I type this command :# cd /etc/yum.repos.d in the linux terminal, "No root file or directory" message is displayed
        • 16. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
          sb92075
          Ant13 wrote:
          No Oracle Version is certified on ANY Windows Home Edition.
          I am not aware that anyone has succeeded in having Oracle DB working on Home Edition.
          • 17. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
            Srini Chavali-Oracle
            This would indicate that the Linux OS install was not completed successfully. Pl post the output of "ls -l" command after logging in as root.

HTH
            Srini
            • 18. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
              Srini Chavali-Oracle
              sb92075 wrote:
              Ant13 wrote:
              No Oracle Version is certified on ANY Windows Home Edition.
              I am not aware that anyone has succeeded in having Oracle DB working on Home Edition.
              sb - I believe OP is trying to install 11gR2 on a Linux VM guest machine running on Win 7 host

HTH
              Srini
              • 19. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                Ant13
                When I entered 'ls-l' (letter L, S and dash(-) letter l) command in the root directory, ls-l command is not found messaged is displayed in the terminal .

When ls command is entered
                anaconda-ks.cfg Desktop install.log install.log.syslog scsrun.log is displayed.

Side note: I have to install a new Linux OS in linux VM, every time the VM is launched. Instead of the log in window the install boot option window is displayed.
                When I installed yet another linux OS, these options are given :
                Install Oracle linux Server - I select this option
                upgrade an existing Installation.
                And when the OS is launched and the terminal window is accessed, most commands do not seem to work . Something is out of place.

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 28, 2013 10:42 PM
                • 20. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                  Srini Chavali-Oracle
                  This would indicate that the Linux OS has not been installed. Pl see my blog for details on how to install the Linux OS - which version of Linux are you installing ?

HTH
                  Srini
                  • 21. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                    Ant13
                    "Oracle Linux Release 5 Update 7 Media Pack" is installed on my box as suggested here: Oracle database install on Windows Home versions - Part 2 of 3.
                    A copy of the file is also on my F drive ,labeled as MY_DATA_012613.
                    Also in Windows, when I run the DISKPART command it should my disk 0 as online with a size of 698 GB.

So based on your comment, I try to delete the above image in VM (to create a new one) but instead I got this error message :

Failed to remove the virtual machine linux2.
                    could not delete the medium storage unit 'C\users\username\VirtualBoxVMS\New group\Linux2\Linux2.vdi

VD:error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND opening image file 'C\users\username\VirtualBoxVMS\New group\Linux2\Linux2.vdi
                    (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)

When I click on details this message is displayed
                    Result code: VBOX_EFILE_ERROR (0x8oBB0004)
                    Component: Medium
                    Interface IMedium {29989373-b111-4654-8493-2e1176cba890}
                    • 22. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                      Srini Chavali-Oracle
                      I am not sure what you are attempting to do. If you follow the directions in my blog, the install should work

HTH
                      Srini
                      • 23. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                        Ant13
                        A follow up question, when I type yum repolist command in the Linux terminal , I get the below message:
                        This system is not registered with ULN
                        ULN support is disabled.

I am not clear on what I should do going forward, I uninstalled and reinstalled oracle VM, created a new image file ( this time triple check my process against yours) yet, I still get the same result. Some and not all of the command works. ls-l (does not work)

I think my issue is similar to this user experience : https://kr.forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2233999.
                        when I type yum install command, I get the below info. and ... ( I am not sure if it means something)

Under enabled plugin =[plugin]
                        --bz=BZ       Included packages  needed to fix the given BZ  // BZ is my initial is something is amiss
                        --cve =CVE  Include packages needed to fix the given CVE
                        --advisor      Advisory  Include package needed to fix the given advisory                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                        • 24. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                          Srini Chavali-Oracle
                          I do not have the "yum repolist" command in my blog entry - as noted above, if you follow the steps exactly as in my blog, you should be successful. Since you are running into issues, I can only surmise that you are doing extra steps from some other source.

The Unix command is <font size="26">"ls -l"</font> (without the quotes, and with a space inbetween). My blog assumes some familiarity with basic commands in Unix.

HTH
                          Srini
                          • 25. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                            Ant13
                            First, I will start out by saying, I do not know Unix, I am not a programmer either, so ignorance is bliss here.
                            Anyway, I got past the first command , woohoo. But I am at a stop on the second command.

[root@localhost ~]# cd /etc/yum.repos.d
                            [root@localhost yum.repos.d]# wget http://public-yum.oracle.com/public-yum-e15.repo
                            --2013-01-30 03:54:41-- http://public-yum.oracle.com/public-yum-e15.repo
                            Resolving public-yum.oracle.com... 141.146.44.34
                            Connecting to public-yum.oracle.com|141.146.44.34|:80... connected.
                            HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
                            2013-01-30 03:54:42 ERROR 404: Not Found.

[root@localhost yum.repos.d]#

Here is the ls - l command ( ls -l with a space thank you very much)
                            [root@localhost ~]# ls
                            anaconda-ks.cfg install.log install.log.syslog
                            Desktop install.log~ scsrun.log
                            [root@localhost ~]# ls -l
                            total 120
                            -rw------- 1 root root 1303 Jan 29 16:31 anaconda-ks.cfg
                            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 29 23:35 Desktop
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39535 Jan 30 00:43 install.log
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39475 Jan 30 00:43 install.log~
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3672 Jan 29 16:29 install.log.syslog
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 195 Jan 29 23:34 scsrun.log
                            [root@localhost ~]#

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 30, 2013 7:45 AM
                            • 26. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                              dccase
                              If your goal is just to have a working database running in a VM, why not use one of these pre-built ones?
                              http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html

Of course, that will spoil all the fun of installing it yourself.
                              • 27. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                                Osama_Mustafa
                                First, I will start out by saying, I do not know Unix, I am not a programmer either, so ignorance is bliss here.
                                Anyway, I got past the first command , woohoo. But I am at a stop on the second command.
                                But you have to search and read Oracle documentation and online blogs, Srini provided you with all information you need , you should do some google and lookup for the error.
                                • 28. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                                  Ant13
                                  ok, got past the sedond error, ( by opening a browser in the VM) i am trekking.
                                  I ran this command

[root@localhost ~]# wget ://http://public-yum.oracle.com
                                  ://http://public-yum.oracle.com: Unsupported scheme.
                                  [root@localhost ~]# wget http://public-yum.oracle.com/public-yum-el5.repo
                                  --2013-01-30 07:04:06-- http://public-yum.oracle.com/public-yum-el5.repo
                                  Resolving public-yum.oracle.com... 141.146.44.34
                                  Connecting to public-yum.oracle.com|141.146.44.34|:80... connected.
                                  HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
                                  Length: 4220 (4.1K) [text/plain]
                                  Saving to: `public-yum-el5.repo'

100%[======================================>] 4,220 --.-K/s in 0.04s

2013-01-30 07:04:06 (95.3 KB/s) - `*public-yum-el5.repo' saved* [4220/4220]

In tthe root directory, I update the enabled flag from 0 to 1.
                                  CHANGE
                                  [ol5_u7_base]
                                  name=Oracle Linux $releasever Update 7 installation media copy ($basearch)
                                  baseurl=http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/7/base/$basearch/
                                  gpgkey=http://public-yum.oracle.com/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle-el5
                                  gpgcheck=1
                                  enabled=0

TO
                                  [ol5_u7_base]
                                  name=Oracle Linux $releasever Update 7 installation media copy ($basearch)
                                  baseurl=http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/7/base/$basearch/
                                  gpgkey=http://public-yum.oracle.com/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle-el5
                                  gpgcheck=1
                                  enabled=1

But when I run the following commands nothing happens. Please help!

[root@localhost ~]# yum update
                                  Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
                                  This system is not registered with ULN.
                                  ULN support will be disabled.
                                  Setting up Update Process
                                  No Packages marked for Update

[root@localhost ~]# yum install gcc
                                  Setting up Install Process
                                  No package gcc available.
                                  Nothing to do

[root@localhost ~]# yum install kernel-devel
                                  No package kernel-devel available.
                                  Nothing to do

[root@localhost ~]# yum install kernel-uek-devel
                                  No package kernel-uek-devel available.
                                  Nothing to do
                                  [
                                  root@localhost ~]# yum install oracle validated
                                  No package oracle available.
                                  No package validated available.
                                  Nothing to do
                                  [root@localhost ~]#

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 30, 2013 12:34 PM
                                  • 29. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                                    Srini Chavali-Oracle
                                    If you have no knowledge of Unix or Oracle databases, I am afraid all of this process is way over your head. Let's get back to basics - what are you trying to achieve ?

HTH
                                    Srini