6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2013 5:38 AM by User543628-OC RSS

Is hotpatch mode safe?

I know of some E-Business Suite admins who apply patches in hotpatch mode almost all the time.
      I don't think we should.
      Is it safe to apply patch in hotpatch mode all the time in production?

Thank you for help.
        • 1. Re: Is hotpatch mode safe?
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          All patches should be applied as per the instructions in the patch README - not following those instructions could lead to issues.

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: Is hotpatch mode safe?
            Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
            I know of some E-Business Suite admins who apply patches in hotpatch mode almost all the time.
            I don't think we should.
            Is it safe to apply patch in hotpatch mode all the time in production?
            It depends on the patch, and what it is doing. If the patch does not require relinking and just deliver a report or sql files or data fixes then it is safe to apply the patch using hotpatch in production.

Please note that you cannot identify from the patch README file if the patch can be applied using hotpatch option or not, and there is no way to tell except if you try it in a test instance first. By default, patches should be applied normally (shutdown apps tier node, enable maintenance mode, apply the patch, disable maintenance mode then start the apps services).

Please see old threads for the same topic/discussion about identifying if the patch can be applied online or not -- https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=hotpatch&objID=c3&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001

Thanks,
            Hussein
            • 3. Re: Is hotpatch mode safe?
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              Srini Chavali wrote:
              All patches should be applied as per the instructions in the patch README - not following those instructions could lead to issues.

HTH
              Srini
              Not necessarily.

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: Is hotpatch mode safe?
                Carlo den Otter-Oracle
                Hello,
                The instructions of the Readme and the Oracle Patch Application Assistant should be followed.
                Also note that applying a 'hot patch' may result in significant degradation of system performance.
                Regards, Carlo.
                • 5. Re: Is hotpatch mode safe?
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                  Also note that applying a 'hot patch' may result in significant degradation of system performance.
                  It might impact the performance for big patches but not for small ones.

Thanks,
                  Hussein
                  • 6. Re: Is hotpatch mode safe?
                    User543628-OC

Hi!  The link to the old thread doesn't work. I know the weakness of hotpatch is that it won't copy new files if the target file is opened (ex: a form).  If this happens, the information is placed on the lgi file.

In 12.1.3, will adpatch throw an error if a file is not copied?  Or is it sill placed as a FYI on the lgi file?

Cheers,

Erwin