This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 9:21 AM by Haider Hussain RSS

Installing Oracle Linux 5.8

Haider Hussain Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,

I wish to remove Win7 (32 bit Home Edition) and install Oracle Linux 5.8 in it.

Configuration of my workstation :

1. 4GB RAM
2. 500 GB HDD
3. Intel Core i5 processor (2.27 GHz * 2).

Could you please tell me how to install the this ? Also, please suggest a good anti-virus for it. Also, is VM required to be installed before installing Oracle Linux ?

Thanks,
Haider
  • 1. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    EdStevens Guru
    Haider Hussain wrote:
    Hi ,

I wish to remove Win7 (32 bit Home Edition) and install Oracle Linux 5.8 in it.

Configuration of my workstation :

1. 4GB RAM
    2. 500 GB HDD
    3. Intel Core i5 processor (2.27 GHz * 2).

Could you please tell me how to install the this ? Also, please suggest a good anti-virus for it. Also, is VM required to be installed before installing Oracle Linux ?

Thanks,
    Haider
    If you want to remove the existing Windows installation and replace it with Oracle Linux any other operating system, then you need to have the installation media for that new OS on a CD, and boot from there. You need to also make sure the new OS supports the hardware on which you intend to install. This question would be better asked in the [url https://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=822] Oracle Linux forum

If you want to remove the existing Windows installation and replace it with Oracle Linux any other operating system, then a vm is not requried. A vm is required to create the new OS as a vm, which runs as a task under the host OS.

Edited by: EdStevens on Jan 29, 2013 11:18 AM
  • 2. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    Haider Hussain Newbie
    answered

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points