This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 10:37 AM by 987862 RSS

Difficulty installing ODAC 64 bit / ODP.net for Visual Studio 2012

987862 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am a new and novice user so please excuse any errors and omissions.
Environment:
- Have a Oracle 11g 64 bit server installed on local machine running Windows 8 and Visual 2012 Pro.
- The server is running OK. Am able to connect to it with SQL Plus.
Problem:
- Downloaded the ODAC 64 bit zip and executed install.bat. Nothing seems to happen after running the install file.
- Tried to go through the Oracle Universal Installer but had no luck. It asked for the source location - and tried pointing it to the directory where I extracted the OASC1120320Xcopy_x64 but no luck.
- Tried to connect to the DB in VS server explorer but the only driver available is for 7.3,..., 10g and is deprecated. Tried connecting using this and got the message saying that it got BadImageFormatException and the problem occurs when running in 64bit mode with 32 bit client components. So, out of ideas.
Objective:
- Ideal would be to have the ODAC installed, be able to look at the DB in Server Explorer and enjoy the full functionality.
- Minimal would be to able to add Oracle.DataAccess.dll as reference and do without the server explorer. I did see that in my Oracle Install folder I have dbhome_1/OPT.Net/bin folder. In it, there is only once subfolder - 2.x which does have the Oracle.DataAccess.dll. I am guessing that this is not the right one to reference and it is the one Server Explorer is using...

That's where I am. Could really use any help and advice.

PS: I did notice that VS 2012 is a 32 bit app. Do not know if it informs your answer. Thanks a lot!

Edited by: 984859 on Jan 29, 2013 10:14 AM
  • 1. Re: Difficulty installing ODAC 64 bit / ODP.net for Visual Studio 2012
    Christian.Shay - Oracle Pro
    Windows 8 is not yet supported with any Oracle products including ODAC.

For more info, see this document:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/tech-info/sod-oracle-db-win8-win2012-1853201.pdf
  • 2. Re: Difficulty installing ODAC 64 bit / ODP.net for Visual Studio 2012
    987862 Newbie
    Thank you! I did see that - a bit late, after buying Windows 8. So far, the experience is mixed:
    - The good news is that DB server is installed and running. I have just been able to connect it with SQL Developer too.
    - The bad news is on this thread.

If at all possible, I would like to see if I could at least get the Oracle.DataAccess.dll for the 64-bit version but do not know how. Would appreciate any pointers.
  • 3. Difficulty installing ODAC 64 bit / ODP.net for Visual Studio 2012
    LannieLiberty Newbie
    1. I hope you installed Oracle on the local machine on a static IP using the Microsoft Loopback Adapter, then enabled your wired and wireless adapters. If not, when your IP address changes on the machine, because of DHCP or moving to new network like a hotel, you will find Oracle not operating. (This recommendation comes from the Oracle Windows Installation Guide).

2. In my WPF and ASP.NET applications, I routinely put the appropriate version of Oracle.DataAccess.dll in the project /BIN folder and make a local reference to it. And using code behind form, make ODP.NET calls with no problems.

3. I have not gotten the Visual Studio stuff working in ODP.NET over many versions of Oracle, VS Studio, and ODP.NET over the years, and heck..who really needs it. Write your own code and queries.
  • 4. Re: Difficulty installing ODAC 64 bit / ODP.net for Visual Studio 2012
    Tridus Journeyer
    eidercom wrote:
    2. In my WPF and ASP.NET applications, I routinely put the appropriate version of Oracle.DataAccess.dll in the project /BIN folder and make a local reference to it. And using code behind form, make ODP.NET calls with no problems.
    That's a bad idea. As soon as you move that project to another system with a different version of Oracle client, it's going to blow up. That'll even happen if that version of Oracle is one your project could otherwise work with. (God help you if you write something portable using AnyCPU.)
    3. I have not gotten the Visual Studio stuff working in ODP.NET over many versions of Oracle, VS Studio, and ODP.NET over the years, and heck..who really needs it. Write your own code and queries.
    If you use the ODTWithODAC package it installs just fine. I'm using it right now. The tools are pretty handy since they contain the Entity Framework support, and why write boilerplate queries when Oracle can do it for me?
  • 5. Re: Difficulty installing ODAC 64 bit / ODP.net for Visual Studio 2012
    Tridus Journeyer
    984859 wrote:
    PS: I did notice that VS 2012 is a 32 bit app. Do not know if it informs your answer. Thanks a lot!
    Yeah, that does effect things. Your main problem is Windows 8 right now, since there's no release for it. That said:

- If you want the developer tools and the full Visual Studio integration, you need a 32 bit Oracle client. Specifically, this one: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-101290.html
    - If you want to run your programs as 64 bit processes, you'll also need a 64 bit client. That means you'll need two clients.

Theoretically the managed provider will solve both of these at the same time, since it works on both platforms and AFAIK the next release will have support for the VS developer tools (and since it's mostly managed, might even work in Windows 8). But that's not available yet.
  • 6. Re: Difficulty installing ODAC 64 bit / ODP.net for Visual Studio 2012
    987862 Newbie
    Well - a tad confused about what to do next. For now, I am mainly interested in getting Oracle.DataAccess.dll for the right version and let .Net talk to the DB. I do not know how I get that. Any advice on where I should get that would be helpful. If I have the right version of the dll, I could browse to it and add it as a reference. There

Note: I do not need to release the installation code from this workstation. Ultimately, the whole project will need to be installed and run at the client machine. The purpose of the install is to write and debug the code...

PS: The whole Windows 8 thing is a bit of a nightmare - as the Oracle Universal Installer did install, but it does not offer uninstall option - and the Oracle install does not appear in the Windows 8 installed program list. So, I am struggling to find a way forward or back. Since the DB seems to be working (and the post on IP address change worries me), I am trying to proceed forward...
  • 7. Re: Difficulty installing ODAC 64 bit / ODP.net for Visual Studio 2012
    Tridus Journeyer
    To just get Oracle.DataAccess.dll, you just need an Oracle client. For a 64 bit program, that's be a 64 bit client. Install that and you should be able to load up Oracle.DataAccess.dll from it.

To uninstall, look in your Oracle folder. Inside the client folder where you installed Oracle to, there's a "deinstall" folder. That is how you uninstall it.
  • 8. Re: Difficulty installing ODAC 64 bit / ODP.net for Visual Studio 2012
    987862 Newbie
    Thank you so much! I did de-install 11g using the deinstall.bat in the deinstall folder. Now, just need to wait until an Oracle product is certified on Windows 8...
  • 9. Re: Difficulty installing ODAC 64 bit / ODP.net for Visual Studio 2012
    987862 Newbie
    In a way, it was not a success - as I kind of gave up on the option altogether. It is a bit of drag that Oracle cannot be installed on Windows 8.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points