This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 9:12 AM by jgarry RSS

issue on datafile and mountpoint

Aryacool Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Friends,

one issue plz tell me the solution what are the possibilities ..in Linux

In one of my mount point from application end user doing some exp/imp operation is going on and in that mount point only single datafile is there and application user utilizing that for exp/imp (not datapump) and i found that my mount point is 99% full and also 99% datafile is full then what i can do that application user operation should not fail.

condition : no other team is there to support me like storage or os

Thanks
Arya

Edited by: Aryacool on Jan 29, 2013 6:34 PM
  • 1. Re: issue on datafile and mountpoint
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi Arya;

1. Get one other exp/imp point
    2. Increase size of your mount point

Regard
    Helios
  • 2. Re: issue on datafile and mountpoint
    User477708-OC Journeyer
    Aryacool wrote:
    Hi Friends,

one issue plz tell me the solution what are the possibilities ..in Linux

In one of my mount point from application end user doing some exp/imp operation is going on and in that mount point only single datafile is there and application user utilizing that for exp/imp (not datapump) and i found that my mount point is 99% full and also 99% datafile is full then what i can do that application user operation should not fail.

you need more space. either increase the mount point or find somewhere else to keep the datafile or somewhere else for the user to export to
  • 3. Re: issue on datafile and mountpoint
    Aryacool Newbie
    Hi Helios,

I dont have permission to increase mount point.
    2nd thing one user doing exp/imp operation so i can't do any thing with exp/imp operation.
  • 4. Re: issue on datafile and mountpoint
    sb92075 Guru
    Aryacool wrote:
    Hi Helios,

I dont have permission to increase mount point.
    2nd thing one user doing exp/imp operation so i can't do any thing with exp/imp operation.
    contact local *NIX System Administrator                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • 5. Re: issue on datafile and mountpoint
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    If there is anything that you can't do, the error is going to be inevitable.

Aman....
  • 6. Re: issue on datafile and mountpoint
    Brian Bontrager Expert
    Option 1. Everything mentioned above (increase space available to meet the need)
    Option 2. Verify whether the end user needs really needs to export as much data as they are, and export more selectively if possible. (reduce the amount of data exported to fit the space available)

Option 3. (This may not apply to your situation). If the export is used to import into a different database, use data pump over a network link to transfer the data directly without the intermediate file.

Edited by: Brian Bontrager on Jan 29, 2013 12:48 PM
  • 7. Re: issue on datafile and mountpoint
    JohnWatson Guru
    Tell your end user to run exp from his PC, so that the dump is saved there. You shouldn't give him a logon to the database server, anyway.
  • 8. Re: issue on datafile and mountpoint
    jgarry Guru
    Is there anything you can temporarily remove or compress from the mount point? Old user reports, useless trace files, archived logs, coredumps...?

Edit: Also, google: tom kyte export to an os pipe

Edited by: jgarry on Jan 29, 2013 10:20 AM
  • 9. Re: issue on datafile and mountpoint
    Aryacool Newbie
    Hi jgarry,

Nothing is there in that mount point except that single datafile in which user is working.

Regards,
    Arya
  • 10. Re: issue on datafile and mountpoint
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Aryacool wrote:
    Hi jgarry,

Nothing is there in that mount point except that single datafile in which user is working.
    This is what you said in the starting of the thread,
    So your user is using the same mount point for export dump file which is also used by the data file , correct ? And it has run out of the space and you can't add it so how do you think that the error can be solved if there is no storage available to you? I guess, let the error come because with that at least you would have a justification to ask for storage.

Aman....
  • 11. Re: issue on datafile and mountpoint
    jgarry Guru
    How big is the mount point.
    How big is the data file.
    How big do you expect the export to be.

I've often seen about 10X compression with piping to compress.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points