This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 9:14 AM by jgarry RSS

processes

864103 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Guys ,

oracle 11g.2 ASM with RAC under RHEL 5

there is one user that use my oracle database say i found this error in my application
ORA-12516: TNS:listener could not find available handler with matching protocol stack

i have two question please :
- why this error not appear in alert log files ???

-second to solve this issue i must increase the processes parameter now the current is 150
so i'm plan to increase it to 200 but this parameter not take the affected until i restart the database
can you please share with me how to restart the database , can i restart only the database or ASM also
or just
alter system set processes=200 scope=spfile;
shutdown immediate;
startup;
also i have 2 nodes i must be apply this command in both nodes that i have ??? if there is any downtime in this operation
i mean can i apply this first in node 1 and then apply it in node 2 without shutdown the database i think no but i need to take the full idea???

thanks
  • 1. Re: processes
    KuljeetPalSingh Guru
    you can see this error msg in listener.log.
    only DB downltime required for this parameter.
    in 2 node RAC you can shutdown node one at a time to set this parameter.
  • 2. Re: processes
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

If you have rac than you need to use syntax such as:

alter system set processes=200 scope=spfile SID='*';

Regard
    Helios
  • 3. Re: processes
    864103 Newbie
    thanks sir for your reply , but please i need to know i will apply this command and restart the database ??or restart the database and asm also ???
  • 4. Re: processes
    864103 Newbie
    Hi , also my manger ask me why this value is set to 150
    i told him this value is set vie oracle by default
    but why oracle set this value to this number not to unlimited ? unfortunatily i can't say any thing
    can you please share with me???
  • 5. Re: processes
    sb92075 Guru
    861100 wrote:
    Hi , also my manger ask me why this value is set to 150
    i told him this value is set vie oracle by default
    but why oracle set this value to this number not to unlimited ? unfortunatily i can't say any thing
    can you please share with me???
    The larger the value of PROCESSES parameter, the more SGA space must be reserved for those sessions.
  • 6. Re: processes
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    861100 wrote:

there is one user that use my oracle database say i found this error in my application
    ORA-12516: TNS:listener could not find available handler with matching protocol stack

- why this error not appear in alert log files ???
    Because the client process/app contacted the Oracle listener process via TCP. As part of its TNS connection string, it requested the listener to hand it (the client) off to a specific database service. That service is not registered (by any database instances) with the listener. As the listener has no idea what to do with the client request, it returns the ORA-12516 error.

It is not a database error. Thus it won't be in the alert log.

The solution you posted to this problem does not sound right. The listener did not report that it failed to hand off the client request to a database server process (as the server process could not be created as there already were 150 processes). It failed to recognise the database service name specified by the client, to which the client wanted to be connected to.
  • 7. Re: processes
    864103 Newbie
    thanks for you reply , but can you please explain more , is the SGA depend on the number
    of processes ?? sorry i'm not get your point ?please advice
  • 8. Re: processes
    jgarry Guru
    You need to allocate semaphores for processes. This is limited by your kernel parameters that start with the letters SEM.
  • 9. Re: processes
    864103 Newbie
    thanks for your reply , but i found this solution in oracle support web site .
  • 10. Re: processes
    jgarry Guru
    What was the answer?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points