This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 1:03 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

R12 - shared apps tier

user9506868 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am testing upgrading from 11.5.10.2 to 12.1.3. We currently have 3 Apps tier servers. I understand in R12, shared apps tier is standard. Is this true? Is this required or can we have separate tops on each node like in 11.5.10.2?

Does it mean I lay down the software on all three nodes and configure on all three nodes, during the upgrade?

Does it mean that I have 3 physcial servers with NFS mount to a shared SAN storage where the APPL_TOP, COMMON_TOP, AS 10.1.2 and AS 10.1.3 reside? And each of the three nodes will have its own INST_TOP? Should the INST_TOP be on separate storage on each node, such as local storage?

Does it mean that when I install apps patch on the nodes, I basically invoke adpatch from any of the nodes and patch all the tops in one shot?

How about autoconfig? Do I run it once from any node? Will it update the config files on all nodes? Or do I run it on each node since each node has separate INST_TOP?

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: R12 - shared apps tier
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    user9506868 wrote:
    I am testing upgrading from 11.5.10.2 to 12.1.3. We currently have 3 Apps tier servers. I understand in R12, shared apps tier is standard. Is this true? Is this required or can we have separate tops on each node like in 11.5.10.2?
    You can have separate tops and the shared apps tier is not configured by default (or a standard approach). However, in R12 a unified APPL_TOP was introduced, which means you will find the same files on every application tier node -- https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=Unified+AND+APPL_TOP&objID=c3&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001
    Does it mean I lay down the software on all three nodes and configure on all three nodes, during the upgrade?
    No, you lay down the R12 software on one node and do the upgrade then you add the other nodes.

Sharing The Application Tier File System in Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 [ID 384248.1]
    Converting To Shared Application Tier File System [ID 1324602.1]
    Does it mean that I have 3 physcial servers with NFS mount to a shared SAN storage where the APPL_TOP, COMMON_TOP, AS 10.1.2 and AS 10.1.3 reside? And each of the three nodes will have its own INST_TOP?
    Correct.
    Should the INST_TOP be on separate storage on each node, such as local storage?
    Yes -- This is also mentioned in [ID 384248.1], under "Instance Home" section.
    Does it mean that when I install apps patch on the nodes, I basically invoke adpatch from any of the nodes and patch all the tops in one shot?
    I have answered this question above.
    How about autoconfig? Do I run it once from any node? Will it update the config files on all nodes? Or do I run it on each node since each node has separate INST_TOP?
    On each node once you finish the upgrade and add the other apps tier nodes.

Thanks,
    Hussein

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points