This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 1:52 AM by Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) RSS

Upgrading with a physical standby database in place

stanley Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all

I am planning to upgrade my database which is 11.2.0.1 (Windows 32 platform) to 11.2.0.3. It has a primary standby database. I only have 1 server for testing the primary database, so I am looking for some help.

I was reading http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28294/upgrades.htm#CHDBJAGG and I confuse about step 4 and 5

+4. Install the new release of the Oracle software into a new Oracle home on the physical standby database system, as described in the Oracle Database Upgrade Guide.+

+5. Mount the physical standby database.+

My question is in step 5, when I mount the physical standby database, does it mounted using new Oracle binary or still using the old version? From my understanding what is step 4 doing is to copying files to new home only. Changing the service to use the new oracle binary is done by dbua. I know this when I test upgrading the primary database.

Regards
Stanley.
  • 1. Re: Upgrading with a physical standby database in place
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

new Oracle binary or the new Oracle home if you will.

So you install the new software on the standby only, all the upgrade SQL gets done on the Primary and then you ENABLE and startup mount on the new oracle home and the standby gets upgraded from the Primary redo.

Its pretty simple ( My exact plan )

1. Disable log shipping from the Primary
    2. Shutdown Standby
    3. Install 11.2.0.3 on Standby - Just the software
    4. Startup Standby in recovery mode - do NOT run r any SQL at the standby
    5. Shutdown Primary
    6. Install 11.2.0.3 on Primary
    7. Run Upgrade SQL or DBUA at Primary
    8. Re-enable log shipping
    9. Monitor the redo apply from Primary to Standby - this will also upgrade the Standby data dictionary

Make sure your tnsnames and listener files move to the new Oracle home and edit as needed.

Another oracle note is 278641.1

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Jan 29, 2013 8:21 PM
  • 2. Re: Upgrading with a physical standby database in place
    stanley Newbie
    +3. Install 11.2.0.3 on Standby - Just the software+
    When on this step, does it also change the executable path of the OracleService<dbname> service?
    From my understanding when we mount the standby database, it should be mounted using the new binary from the new Oracle Home.

Thanks
  • 3. Re: Upgrading with a physical standby database in place
    mseberg Guru
    Hello again;

Short answer is no.

My systems are Linux so after I install the software I change the profile to use the path to the new ORACLE_HOME.

Generally I start a new terminal session and STARTUP MOUNT

Yes, new binary from the new Oracle Home.

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 4. Re: Upgrading with a physical standby database in place
    stanley Newbie
    So do you mean that in my case, we have to manually change the executable path of the service manually just before we mount the standby database? I can not find any documentation regarding this anywhere, but I am quite sure if dont change the executable path the upgrade will failed and I have to rebuilding the standby database from scratch again.
  • 5. Re: Upgrading with a physical standby database in place
    mseberg Guru
    Windows is a different animal. Frankly I'm not sure what you do there to make sure you are pointing at the new Oracle Home.

However you should be able to test by opening SQL Plus on the standby and the banner should show you if you need an additional step or not.

sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.3.0 Production on Mon Jan 28 12:00:24 2013

Home Selector (Available on Win32 Platforms)

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/em.112/e12255/oui2_manage_oracle_homes.htm#i1006001

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Jan 29, 2013 8:55 PM
  • 6. Re: Upgrading with a physical standby database in place
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi,

use the oradim utility to delete the windows service, and use the new oradim utility form 11.2.0.3 home to add the service back, with the new home.

Regards
    Sebastian

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points