1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2013 8:23 AM by 985927 RSS

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service

I was installed Oracle Database 11g and I can access to data base throw SQL Plus and everything o.k, but when I install Oracle Developer 11g and when I try to connect from the Form to Database I can't.

and when I go to the Net Configuration Assistant and Add connection I find this error " ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor" and when I check the service all Oracle service running very well.

I need help to resolve this issue.

Thanks
      Eyad
        • 1. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
          sb92075
          user5385519 wrote:
          I was installed Oracle Database 11g and I can access to data base throw SQL Plus and everything o.k, but when I install Oracle Developer 11g and when I try to connect from the Form to Database I can't.

and when I go to the Net Configuration Assistant and Add connection I find this error " ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor" and when I check the service all Oracle service running very well.

Thanks
          Eyad
          ORA-12514 ALWAYS only occurs due to a problem on DB Server system.
          One cause of this problem is when the Oracle database is down & needs to be started.
          A remote client send a request to the Listener asking to be connected to a specific service.
          If/when the listener does not know anything about that service, the listener responds with ORA-12514

post results from the following two OS commands:
          lsnrctl status
          lsnrctl service

Since every connection request to the listener gets logged, listener.log file will contain a line with 12514 as status code.

This line contains valuable debugging details. So post this line & surrounding lines.

for additional debugging suggestions read the URL below:
          http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/03/19/ora-12514/
          • 2. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
            EdStevens
            user5385519 wrote:

Thanks
            Eyad
            I don't have any experience with "Oracle Developer" but from what you describe, it is obviously using a different connection specification that when you use sQLPLus.
            That said ... follow these links:

[url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/sqlnet_overview/] Help! I can’t connect to my database
            [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/sqlnet_client_cfg/] Help! I can’t connect to my database (part duex)

[url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/03/19/ora-12514/] ora-12514 
            • 3. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
              Thanks but still I have a problem I can use SQL PLUS normal. but when I used Net Configuration Asstaint.

"ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service ."
              • 4. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
                sb92075
                user5385519 wrote:
                Thanks but still I have a problem I can use SQL PLUS normal. but when I used Net Configuration Asstaint.

"ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service ."
                If you won't answer our question or don't provide requested details, then you have a mystery & we have no clues.
                • 5. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
                  Take it easy man.

I don't have mystery. but your answer didn't solve the problem and I told you I was installed Oracle Database 11g and Oracle Developer 11g.

I can use SQL very well. but I go to
                  Start
                  Oracle - OraDb11g_home1
                  Configuration and Migration Tools
                  Local Net Service Name Configuration

Then " Connecting...ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor
                  The test did not succeed."

Thanks
                  Eyad Barakat
                  • 6. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
                    sb92075
                    One cause of this problem is when the Oracle database is down & needs to be started.
                    A remote client send a request to the Listener asking to be connected to a specific service.
                    If/when the listener does not know anything about that service, the listener responds with ORA-12514

lsnrctl status
                    lsnrctl service

Since every connection request to the listener gets logged, listener.log file will contain a line with 12514 as status code.

This line contains valuable debugging details. So post this line & surrounding lines.

• 7. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
                      I'm using the URL "http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/03/19/ora-12514/"

In using Fig. 3

TNS-03505: Failed to reslove name.
                      • 8. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
                        Padma....
                        Hi,

Check the status of the db listener.

at command prompt ie;
                        start>run>cmd
                        C:>lsnrctl status

command shows the status of listener please share that output.

Thanks
                        Padma...
                        • 9. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
                          Thanks

and the result

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
                          Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Eyad>cd..

C:\Users>cd..

C:\>lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 30-JAN-2013 11:16:21

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1521)))
                          STATUS of the LISTENER
                          ------------------------
                          Alias LISTENER
                          Version TNSLSNR for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
                          Start Date 20-JAN-2013 15:49:02
                          Uptime 9 days 19 hr. 27 min. 43 sec
                          Trace Level off
                          Security ON: Local OS Authentication
                          SNMP OFF
                          Listener Parameter File d:\OracleDB\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\listener.ora
                          Listener Log File d:\oracledb\diag\tnslsnr\Eyad-VAIO\listener\alert\log.xml
                          Listening Endpoints Summary...
                          (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC1521ipc)))
                          (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PORT=1521)))
                          Services Summary...
                          Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
                          Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                          The command completed successfully

C:\>
                          • 10. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
                            Padma....
                            Hi,
                            In
                            start>run>programs>oradb11ghome>configuration and migration tools>net manager
                            under listener configuration add database service pointing to your database.
                            restart the listener
                            now try to to do netca. Hope this works.

Thanks
                            Padma...
                            • 11. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
                              First of all thank you for your help

but when go to start>run>programs>oradb11ghome>configuration and migration tools>net manager
                              an when I try open the plus listener I can't open it and I can't do any action on it.
                              • 12. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
                                yoonas
                                Hi,

Is your database up?

What is happening when you try to open netmgr? You can add entries manually in tnsnames.ora file as well

start>cmd>sqlplus / as sysdba (post the output)

Regards
                                Yoonas

Edited by: yoonus on Jan 30, 2013 5:05 AM
                                • 13. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
                                  yes, it's up.

and when I try it it's connected to the database but the problem when I use the netmgr. and yes can I add it manually but still I can't connect from Oracle Form to the Database I can't.
                                  • 14. Re: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service
                                    sb92075

lsnrctl status
                                    lsnrctl service

1 2 Previous Next