4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 9:15 AM by 986792 RSS

Single "Apply" button for Multiple Dashboard prompts in OBIEE 11g

Tom Lype
      I have two different dashboard prompts in the page. Currently by default the page shows "Apply/Reset" buttons for each prompt.
      I have seen lot of threads talking about hiding the multiple "Go" buttons in OBIEE 10.1.3.4 and replacing with a single "Go" button for multiple prompts.
      But how to achieve the same in OBIEE 11g to hide Multiple "Apply/Reset" buttons and show only one.

Thanks,
      Tom
        • 1. Re: Single "Apply" button for Multiple Dashboard prompts in OBIEE 11g
          Deepak Gupta
          Tom,

I don't have it handy in any of the Blog but I'm sure you will have to play around with XMLs in order to achieve this as you must have seen in 10g.
          Also, I'm sure you must have tried to create a single prompt having columns from 2 diff prompts but it must have failed.

But before you move for this approach, be real sure that you might come across many reporting challenges while using SINGLE APPLY. It has multiple limitations like when you have prompts from Region Hierarchy like Country-State-City-code and you have constraints set on each level in prompts. Now, when you will try to add more prompts in same, this will casue problem to above prompts.

I'd say, you will have to make your business understand about the BI functionality here.

Hope this is useful
          • 2. Re: Single "Apply" button for Multiple Dashboard prompts in OBIEE 11g
            Tom Lype
            Deepak,
            Thanks for the reply. Not sure I'll be able to convince the business users but it is a minor change from their perspective. I have some instances where they said "oh the crystal reports, business objects can do it why not OBI". I look like a fool if I say NO.

Anyways now coming to the problem why don't I see the Group by option in the prompt now in 11g. Is it a bug ?
            One prompt is Calendar (start date and end date column prompt) and the second one similar to Region Hierarchy (State, Region, County, City prompts etc..). I do remember I had a similar issue in 10.1.3.3 and was able to fix it, but now in 11g I need to know the exact xml's or js files to change.

Regards,
            Tom
            • 3. Re: Single "Apply" button for Multiple Dashboard prompts in OBIEE 11g
              PeakIndicators_Alastair
              Tom Lype wrote:
              Deepak,
              Thanks for the reply. Not sure I'll be able to convince the business users but it is a minor change from their perspective. I have some instances where they said "oh the crystal reports, business objects can do it why not OBI". I look like a fool if I say NO.
              Tom,
              Appreciate your situation, many of us have been there. I would answer any statements comparing the two products with a couple of points in OBIEE favour before reminding them cars from different manufacturers can all get us from A-to-B, some from Mercedes let you see at night, some from Noble, Ferrari , Porsche let you get there much faster, others like Volvo, Renault get you there much safer.

A little user-training on the tech stack and how it works , configures etc will either bore them to tears and they wont hassle you again, or open their eyes a little on why the product is different, not worse, not better. They are the fools !

Show them how a constrained prompt works, the performance degradation when you have to join through the fact table to get both dimensions constrained under one apply etc.
              • 4. Re: Single "Apply" button for Multiple Dashboard prompts in OBIEE 11g
                Recently I worked on custom javascript for a single button to apply all prompts in OBIEE 11g. Please read my blog on this topic at http://wp.me/p35sxe-32 and post any comments you may have.

Krishna