This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 11:00 AM by Roger25 RSS

Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses

Roger25 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I want to know what's the difference between http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=609&p_org_id=1001&lang=US&get_params=dc:D52163GC10,p_preview:N and http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=609&p_org_id=1001&lang=US&get_params=dc:D52163GC20,p_preview:N ? The latter is related to Oracle Database 11g Release 2, and the first one?

I'm preparing for 1Z0-117 (Oracle Database 11g Release 2: SQL Tuning) exam (which was validated against Release 2), and i can see a suggested course from OU, which is D52163GC10 (so Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop). But i think this is not updated, so it's not related to Oracle DB 11g Release 2. Is it valid for 1Z0-117 preparation?
So i want to know the differences (topics, etc) between D52163GC20 and D52163GC10.

Thanks!
  • 1. Re: Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    Moved from Java-Certification.
  • 2. Re: Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses
    matthew_morris Expert
    So i want to know the differences (topics, etc) between D52163GC20 and D52163GC10.
    I pulled up the two URLs from your post, then clicked on the topics for one, cut & pasted into Notepad. I then opened the second URL and did the same. They contain most of the same topics, but the order is quite different. It looks like the Release II is simply an updated version of the firs. It may be updated for 11G Release 2, or it may simply be Release II of the course. I certainly can't see taking both of them given the degree of commonality. The 1Z0-117 test is going to have the very latest information since it's not even production yet, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to even consider taking the earlier SQL Tuning workshop if the purpose is preparing for the exam.
  • 3. Re: Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses
    Roger25 Explorer
    I have the first course, that's why I ask. Now, I hope i should not buy the release II course in order to prepare for exam. I think the first one is sufficient (regardin SQL Tuning). If there are the same topics (but the order changed), the first course isn't sufficient? I think it is. Now let's be serious, what major differences in SQL Tuning are between Oracle 11gR1 and 11gR2? :) I think they are unsignificant (however, where can i find the new "features" about tuning in release II?)

Regards
  • 4. Re: Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    Actually, I'm seeing that on the exam page http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=5001&get_params=p_exam_id:1Z0-117, the recommended course is the Release 2 course. It is recommended that you use the Release 2 or GC20 version of the course for prep.

From what country are you accessing the exam page?

Regards,
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator
  • 5. Re: Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses
    Roger25 Explorer
    Romania, but now I see, clicking on that course gives me on the GC20 course page
    I think it's all about money here (the newer course)... looking at differenced between 11gR1 and 11gR1, I did not find any major changes in SQL tuning between the two
  • 6. Re: Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses
    bigdelboy Pro
    Roger25 wrote:
    Romania, but now I see, clicking on that course gives me on the GC20 course page
    I think it's all about money here (the newer course)... looking at differenced between 11gR1 and 11gR1, I did not find any major changes in SQL tuning between the two
    Its like the difference between Roger22 and Roger25. ;-)
  • 7. Re: Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses
    matthew_morris Expert
    ... looking at differenced between 11gR1 and 11gR1, I did not find any major changes in SQL tuning between the two
    Actually, I did. I lined the topics lists of the two up and deleted all topics that were identical or obviously the same topic renamed. That left a considerable number in the Release 2 workshop (below). A number of topics from Release 1 were dropped. By far the largest single common factor in the eliminated topics was HINTs. Oracle is moving away from these, so that makes sense. I might have missed a few more commonalities, but the below list is a fair indicator of what is 'new' in the Release II workshop. They are in alphabetical rather than topical order because that's how I matched up the two workshops to remove the duplicates.

Antijoins
    Automatic SQL Tuning Considerations
    Automatic SQL Tuning Result Details: Drilldown
    Automatic SQL Tuning: Result Details
    Automatic SQL Tuning: Result Summary
    Automatic Tuning Process
    Bind Variable Peeking
    Composite Indexes and Invisible Index
    Configuring Automatic SQL Tuning
    Connecting to the Database Instance
    Count Stop Key Operator
    Data Modeling, Table Design, Index Design, Using Views, SQL Execution Efficiency, Overview of SQL*Plus & SQL Developer
    Enterprise Manager and SQL Plan Baselines
    Equijoins and Nonequijoins
    Filter operations and Concatenation Operations
    Forcing Cursor Sharing
    Hash Join and Cartesian Join
    Histograms, Frequency Histograms and Histogram Considerations
    Important Baseline SQL Plan Attributes
    Index Clustering Factor
    Index-Organized Tables
    Inlist Iterator and View Operator
    Interpreting an Execution Plan
    Joining the Intermediate Result Set with Dimensions
    Loading a SQL Plan Baseline Automatically and Purging SQL Management Base Policy
    Maintaining SQL Performance and SQL Plan Management: Overview
    Manual Statistics Gathering
    Min/Max and First Row Operators and Other N-Array Operations
    Nested Loops Join
    Nested Loops Join: 11g Implementation
    Optimizer Join Methods
    Optimizer: Table and Index Operations
    Outer Joins
    Physical Structure
    Plan Generator
    Plan Table & AUTOTRACE
    Possible Recommendations
    Possible SQL Plan Manageability Scenarios
    Result Cache Operator
    Segments, Extents, and Blocks & SYSTEM and SYSAUX Tablespaces
    Semijoins
    Session Level Tracing: Example
    Simplicity in Application Design
    Sort Merge join
    Sorting Operators and Buffer Sort Operator
    SQL Access Advisor Session: Initial Options
    SQL Access Advisor: Overview
    SQL Access Advisor: Recommendation Options
    SQL Access Advisor: Results
    SQL Access Advisor: Results and Implementation
    SQL Access Advisor: Schedule and Review
    SQL Access Advisor: Workload Source
    SQL Performance Analyzer and SQL Plan Baseline Scenario
    SQL Performance Management
    SQL Plan Baseline: Architecture
    SQL Plan Selection
    SQL Tuning Loop
    SQL Tuning Loop, Access Path Analysis and SQL Structure Analysis
    Star Transformation Hints
    Star Transformation Plan Examples
    Table, Index and Column Statistics
    The CURSOR_SHARING Parameter
    Transformer & Estimator
    Tuning SQL Statements Automatically
    Types of Optimizer Statistics
    UNION [ALL], INTERSECT, MINUS
    Use Enterprise Manager to Trace Services
    Using Automatic SQL Tuning
    Using SQL Access Advisor
    Using SQL Tuning Advisor
    Using the V$SQL_PLAN View
  • 8. Re: Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses
    Roger25 Explorer
    lol :)
    Ok, now I found only http://juliandontcheff.wordpress.com/2011/04/24/what-is-new-with-automatic-sql-tuning-in-11-2-0-2/ as a difference (SQL tuning).
    Others may post other differences too, it will be useful for me (i did not want to buy the release II course, just for some minor changes...)
  • 9. Re: Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses
    Roger25 Explorer
    "Actually, I did. I lined the topics lists of the two up and deleted all topics that were identical or obviously the same topic renamed. That left a considerable number in the Release 2 workshop (below)."

You haven't deleted.. for example "Plan Generator", or "Result Cache Operator", and many other titles are found also in the first course too. I don't think these topic lists are just in release II and not in the first course. So i don't know what do you mean by this list :)

also i don't know why HINTS were removed from release II..
  • 10. Re: Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses
    matthew_morris Expert
    You haven't deleted.. for example "Plan Generator", or "Result Cache Operator", and many other titles are found also in the first course too.
    I don't see either of these in the course topics listed for Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=609&p_org_id=1001&lang=US&get_params=dc:D52163GC10,p_preview:N#tabs-3
  • 11. Re: Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses
    Roger25 Explorer
    Well, having the D52163GC10, i can see "Plan generator" (look at http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/68423472.jpg/ ).
    In the contents list of the 3rd chapter (Introduction to the optimizer). Maybe what we see here http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=609&p_org_id=1001&lang=US&get_params=dc:D52163GC10,p_preview:N#tabs-3 , isn't so detailed (so many of them are present in the real course, but not in the "Course topics" section, from the link above).
  • 12. Re: Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses
    matthew_morris Expert
    ...Maybe what we see here ... isn't so detailed
    There's not much I can do about that. Since you have the book, you could take my list as a starting point and remove ones like this to provide a more complete comparison in this thread... for others that might be interested. This certification is likely to become very popular shortly...
  • 13. Re: Oracle Database 11g SQL Tuning courses
    matthew_morris Expert
    ...also i don't know why HINTS were removed from release II..
    Just saw this. Oracle seems to be moving away from hints in favor of SQL Profiles. There are a number of issues with using HINTs to tune SQL performance. They are labor-intensive, can't always be used (as with packaged applications), and don't evolve if the data changes such that they are no longer appropriate (among other issues).

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points