3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2013 10:24 PM by L-MachineGun

Reduce Time for Rman Backup

Fayn_dba
      Dear Experts;

rman for 0 level backup is taking about 5:26 hours, backup size is now 312gb I have enabled block track checking & it reduces time for incremental level 1 from 2hour to almost 3 minutes.

database shows biggest tablespace is "users"

I want valuable suggestions for reducing its time or is there any way to break 0 level backup. I can allocate channels but ultimately it will take time when taking "users" tablepace backup
      Right now I am taking backup at usb drive & its version is 2.0

Regards
        • 1. Re: Reduce Time for Rman Backup
          Mihael
          I want valuable suggestions for reducing its time or is there any way to break 0 level backup. I can allocate channels but ultimately it will take time when taking "users" tablepace backup
          you can allocate several channels and use rman interfile backup parallelism for large datafiles, for example:

backup section size 500m tablespace users;
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Reduce Time for Rman Backup
            As you are taking backup to a usb drive there is not much that can be done to improve the speed. If you are concerned about the backup being slow.. then you could think of taking the backup on local disk( which would be faster and more efficient) and then move the backups from the disk to usb drive.
            This can be done in a single backup script as 2 part operation.
            1) take backup to disk.
            2) copy the backup to usb drive and delete the backups from the disk.

There are many additional features that u can add to enhance it thoe.

Regards,
            V
            • 3. Re: Reduce Time for Rman Backup
              L-MachineGun
              +++
              Perhaps if you read the fine Oracle® Database Backup and Recovery User's Guide you would get a better idea of what to do:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmtunin.htm#CACJCBDB
              :p
              1 person found this helpful