This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2013 2:51 AM by 989822 RSS

Overflow issue

mchurichi Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I'm new on Documaker and I'm having problems when generating forms in a legacy web application throught single-step mode.
If I run it on the console works fine, but when I try to generate the forms, does not overflows images, overlaps the footer and is cut off.

I suspect it's related to the PaginateAndPropagate rule (which is present in my afgjob file), because when I remove it and runs on the console, I got the same problem.

Here is my afgjob file: http://pastebin.com/2LSSBWxC

Can anybody tell me where could be the error?

I don't know if I'm running Documaker 11.3 or 12.0... where can I find this information?. EDIT: running 12.1

If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks in advice.
Max.
  • 1. Re: Overflow issue
    user9976634 Journeyer
    You mention that running on the "console" produces correct output. Are you referring to the Documaker Desktop (AFEMAIN.EXE) or something else when you say "console".

The AFGJOB you present has some unusual and perhaps some unnecessary things in it. Did you create this yourself?
    I'm pretty sure the rules UpdatePOLFile and WriteOutput do exactly the same thing. Therefore you are probably writing you POL output twice with each transaction. This may not hurt anything other than performance and disk space, but is redundant.

You also have two different batching rules defined and although I suppose there could be a circumstance where you could use these two together, I'm going to guess that you don't need both. But since you have not complained about the batching, I suppose you can ignore that.

Although you have defined the old misspelled version of the PaginateAndPropagate rule, it is fine and appears in the correct position. So, if you have overlapping sections, this would then make me think that perhaps your problem lies in either the size or attributes defined for the section that doesn't paginate properly.

It is difficult to diagnose without actually seeing the setup in question, but I would start by reviwing whether this section is set as a background or has the "Fixed" attribute set on the origin.

If this section is flagged as a background section, it will not paginate off the page.
    If you have said that the origin is "fixed" on the page, then the section won't move off the page either.
    And finally, if the section is defined larger than a physical page, then it is not going to split across pages unless you happen to have a MLT field defined on the page that would format and cause this to span - assuming you have set the Can Span option.
  • 2. Re: Overflow issue
    mchurichi Newbie
    First of all, thank you very much for your answer.
    It's very difficult to me explain the problem with the little background or experience I have in Documaker. I have this application and Documaker implementation and I need to solve this problem while acquire experience.
    user9976634 wrote:
    You mention that running on the "console" produces correct output. Are you referring to the Documaker Desktop (AFEMAIN.EXE) or something else when you say "console".
    I mean to run the GENDAW32 manually from the windows command line. This is known as batching mode, or I'm wrong?
    The AFGJOB you present has some unusual and perhaps some unnecessary things in it. Did you create this yourself?
    I'm pretty sure the rules UpdatePOLFile and WriteOutput do exactly the same thing. Therefore you are probably writing you POL output twice with each transaction. This may not hurt anything other than performance and disk space, but is redundant.
    As I said before, this is a legacy application that uses the Documaker platform, also configured by the original developers.
    So you say I can safely remove one of these rules? which is recommended to use?
    You also have two different batching rules defined and although I suppose there could be a circumstance where you could use these two together, I'm going to guess that you don't need both. But since you have not complained about the batching, I suppose you can ignore that.
    Do yo mean to BatchingByPageCountPerRecipINI and BatchingByRecipINI rules?... there any way that this is related to the problem I have?... if not, what problem can generate?
    Although you have defined the old misspelled version of the PaginateAndPropagate rule, it is fine and appears in the correct position. So, if you have overlapping sections, this would then make me think that perhaps your problem lies in either the size or attributes defined for the section that doesn't paginate properly.

It is difficult to diagnose without actually seeing the setup in question, but I would start by reviwing whether this section is set as a background or has the "Fixed" attribute set on the origin.

If this section is flagged as a background section, it will not paginate off the page.
    If you have said that the origin is "fixed" on the page, then the section won't move off the page either.
    And finally, if the section is defined larger than a physical page, then it is not going to split across pages unless you happen to have a MLT field defined on the page that would format and cause this to span - assuming you have set the Can Span option.
    The problem persists in all documents generated (several hundred), so I don't think this could be related to specific sections attributes.

Best regards,
    Max.
  • 3. Re: Overflow issue
    user9976634 Journeyer
    At this point, you may be better off speaking with someone in Support that can ask you more pointed questions to get to the details of your situation.

Since "console" to you means that Gendata produced good output when run manually, I have to assume that means you do not get correct output when running Documaker Interactive or IDS. Correct? If this is the case, I have to presume that the interative method is not running the same set of rules (in the AFGJOB) to produce the document set you download.
  • 4. Re: Overflow issue
    Bryan Burr Newbie
    Hi,
    Check to ensure that the afgjob and INI files and library files (forms, faps, etc.) are accurate in both locations. As 9976634 mentioned, you may have your runtime system pointing at a different afgjob file (or other configuration) than you console which would result in different execution. Support can help you verify these types of things.
    -DA
  • 5. Re: Overflow issue
    mchurichi Newbie
    Thank you both,

I had the doubt whether some rule could cause this weird issue, but apparently not.
    I will check again the settings that are taking, and if it is correct, I'll contact support.

Max.
  • 6. Re: Overflow issue
    user9976634 Journeyer
    Since you are talking about the lack of overflow when viewed in Entry, if you have a WIPUpdate rule in the AFGJOB, this must occur "after" the PaginateAndPropagate, which means above the paginate rule. Otherwise, you are writing your WIP before you paginate the formset.
  • 7. Re: Overflow issue
    989822 Newbie
    I was not able to find such rule (WIPUpdate) in Rule References. Here is our AFGJOB file:

<Base Rules>
    ;RULStandardJobProc;1;Always the first job level rule;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;*:;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;*:------------------------------------------------;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;*: FormMaker Data Generation (Base);
    ;SetErrHdr;1;*: ;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;***: Branch:      ***Branch***;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;***: Company:      ***Company***;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;***: CustomerNumber:***CustomerNumber***;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;***: Lob:      ***Lob***;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;***: Module:      ***Module***;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;***: PolicyNum:      ***PolicyNum***;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;***: RunDate:      ***RunDate***;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;***: State:      ***State***;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;***: Symbol:      ***Symbol***;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;***: TransactionCd:***TransactionCd***;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;***: TransactionType:***TransactionType***;
    ;SetErrHdr;1;*:------------------------------------------------;
    ;JobInit1;1;;
    ;CreateGlbVar;1;TblLstH,PVOID;
    ;InitOvFlw;1;;
    ;LoadTblFiles;1;;
    ;BuildMasterFormList;1;4;
    ;InitSetrecipCache;1;;
    ;InitPrint;1;required to execute gendata/genprint in single step;
    ;InitConvertWIP;1;;

/* Every form set in this base uses these rules. */
    <Base Form Set Rules>
    ;NoGenTrnTransactionProc;2;required to combine gentrn/gendata into single step;

;BuildFormList;2;;
    ;RunTriggers;;;
    ;ResetOvFlw;2;;
    ;UpdatePOLFile;2;;

;BatchingByPageCountPerRecipINI;;;
    ;BatchingByRecipINI;2;;
    ;ProcessQueue;2;PostPaginationQueue;
    ;PaginateAndPropogate;2;

/* Add to single mode print */
    ;PrintFormset;2;required to combine gendata/genprint into single step;
    ;WriteOutput;2;;
    ;WriteNaFile;2;;
    ;ConvertWIP;2;;

/* end add */

/* Every image in this base uses these rules. */
    <Base Image Rules>
    ;StandardImageProc;3;Always the first image level rule;
    ;InsNAHdr;3;;

/* Every field in this base uses these rules. */
    <Base Field Rules>
    ;StandardFieldProc;4;Always the first field level rule;
  • 8. Re: Overflow issue
    user9976634 Journeyer
    Sorry, when I refered to WIPUpdate, that was a reference to functionality and not necessarily a rule. In your case, it is the ConvertWIP rule. It is too "low" in your transaction rules, so you are trying to store the WIP before pagination has occurred.

You have to note that rules operate in either the forward or reverse direction. Load and trigger type rules operate on the forward pass down through the list. Pagination, batching, saving, and WIP rules operate on the reverse pass back up the list. (Some rules have operations in both directions, but I don't see any here.)

I may not have it exactly correct, but I think you need an order like this:

<Base Form Set Rules>
    ;NoGenTrnTransactionProc;2;required to combine gentrn/gendata into single step;

;BuildFormList;2;;
    ;RunTriggers;;;
    ;ResetOvFlw;2;;

/* Add to single mode print */
    ;PrintFormset;2;required to combine gendata/genprint into single step;
    ;ConvertWIP;2;;

;WriteOutput;2;;
    ;WriteNaFile;2;;

;BatchingByPageCountPerRecipINI;;;
    ;BatchingByRecipINI;2;;

;ProcessQueue;2;PostPaginationQueue;
    ;PaginateAndPropogate;2;
  • 9. Re: Overflow issue
    989822 Newbie
    Thanks a lot, but your changes did not help.

Our problem is not when we are viewing document through WIP editor, but when we are taking and printing document from ARCHIVE using i_ArcPrint request type.

Let me repeat, that document looks good in OUTPUT folder and in WIP editor.

I made SR to Oracle several month ago. Two weeks ago, I even escalate it. Still waiting.

Thanks again.
    Sergey
  • 10. Re: Overflow issue
    user9976634 Journeyer
    Okay, now if you are talking about retrieval from Archive, the problem may have occurred back when the transaction was created. Usually the retrieval simply shows you exactly what was created and would not do any further pagination after the fact. If you have created a SR, then perhaps they will ask the right questions.
  • 11. Re: Overflow issue
    989822 Newbie
    Thanks for trying to help us.
    Since I escalated this SR (month ago), I got just ONE question from Oracle: what version of dokumaker we have.
    Anybody more experience, please advise how to push them move faster?

Thanks again,
    Sergey
  • 12. Re: Overflow issue
    Bryan Burr Newbie
    Hi,
    What is the SR#?
    -DA
  • 13. Re: Overflow issue
    989822 Newbie
    SR # is 3-6748231631.
    But before that it were 3-5703737177 and 3-5079274211. All about the same problem.

Edited by: SergeyZ on Feb 24, 2013 2:44 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points