1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 7:42 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle Go to original post RSS
      • 30. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
        Ant13
        I want to install an Oracle database on my PC ( Windows home edition) to study-self study- for the OCA exam

Initally,I installed Oracle11g express edition and later realized that the GUI tools such as DBCA, OUI are not part of Oralce XE.

So I installed Oracle 11g enterprise edition and found out that it is not compatible with windows home edition. So I took the alternate route you suggested.

Now, I am in part 3 of 3,( after learning so much...) I can’t quit this fun adventure right now, unless there are more complex-time consuming tasks ahead. I do considere myself a quick learner, however, I am open to your suggestions.

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 30, 2013 1:57 PM
        • 31. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
          Osama_Mustafa
          Ant13 wrote:
          I want to install an Oracle database on my PC ( Windows home edition) to study-self study- for the OCA exam

Initally,I installed Oracle11g express edition and later realized that the GUI tools such as DBCA, OUI are not part of Oralce XE.

So I installed Oracle 11g enterprise edition and found out that it is not compatible with windows home edition. So I took the alternate route you suggested.

Now, I am in part 3 of 3,( after learning so much...) I can’t quit this fun adventure right now, unless there are more complex-time consuming tasks ahead. I do considered myself a quick learner, however, I am open to your suggestions.
          Step by Step :
          1- As we said oracle is not certified with Home Editions so we will do the following :

a-install Vmware tools or virtual box software
          b-choose certified OS such as Professional or server editions/ linux redhat
          c-after finish the above steps you need to do preinstallation document related to oracle version .
          d- install oracle without any error

2- everything should works fine
          • 32. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
            Srini Chavali-Oracle
            Can you confirm that you installed Linux 5.7 ? If you installed a different version (say 5.8), then you will need to edit the appropriate section (eg ol5_u8_base) in the file "public-yum-el5.repo"

HTH
            Srini
            • 33. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
              Ant13
              Here is the Linux version
              [root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/version
              Linux version 2.6.18-274.el5 (mockbuild@ca-build10.us.oracle.com) (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-51)) #1 SMP Mon Jul 25 13:17:49 EDT 2011

And the release with which this version is associated
              [root@localhost ~]# cat /etc/*-release
              Enterprise Linux Enterprise Linux Server release 5.7 (Carthage)
              Oracle Linux Server release 5.7
              Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.7 (Tikanga)
              • 34. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                Pl ensure you saved the file after you made the change - if you did, the yum commands should work.

HTH
                Srini
                • 35. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                  Ant13
                  I want to correctly create the shared folder in c/temp directory before moving forward.
                  Initially, I created the shared folder and reboot Linux VM, as specify, however the sf_temp tag was not suffixed to the file name.
                  So, I deleted the share folder and created a new one and then reboot.

When I run these commands this output is displayed:

root@localhost ~]# cd /media
                  [root@localhost media]# ls -l
                  total 10
                  drwxrwx--- 1 root vboxsf 0 Jan 28 12:56 sf_TEMP
                  dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 2048 Dec 19 09:20 VBOXADDITIONS_4.2.6_82870
                  drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 31 05:02 vboxshared
                  [root@localhost media]#

How do I delete these duplicate records and create just one shared folder with a sf_TEMP suffix that shows the actual file size ?
                  And how do I change the permissions of the directory in the VM to 777 (drwxrwxrwx)?

Please help!

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 31, 2013 2:56 AM
                  • 36. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                    Ant13
                    Ok, on the file issues, I had multiple files in the root directory with the enabled flag set to 1, so I had to delete one of the files and it worked as expected.
                    On my last request, sf_temp file was created but since it did not have a number assigned to it, (like in the case of your screen shots) I assume it was not created. I bet, most roosters were crowing at the time of my writing.

Anyway, I have another issue and please don't give up on me I am almost at the finish line!

Ok, as an oracle user, I created a directory named "media" in the home directory per the spec, but when I attempt to copy sf_temp directory's content to the oracle/home directory, I get this error:

[oracle@localhost ~]$ cp media/sf_temp oracle/home/media
                    cp: cannot stat `media/sf_temp': No such file or directory
                    [oracle@localhost ~]$ cp c/temp/ media/sf_temp oracle/home/media
                    cp: target `*oracle/home/media' is not a directory*
                    [oracle@localhost ~]$ cd /media
                    [oracle@localhost media]$ ls -l
                    total 10
                    drwxrwx--- 1 root vboxsf 0 Jan 31 17:24 sf_TEMP
                    drwxrwx--- 1 root vboxsf 0 Jan 31 15:23 sf_VBoxShared
                    dr-xr-xr-x 6 oracle root 2048 Dec 19 09:20 VBOXADDITIONS_4.2.6_82870
                    drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Jan 31 05:02 vboxshared
                    [oracle@localhost media]$

please help!
                    • 37. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                      sb92075
                      Ant13 wrote:

Ok, as an oracle user, I created a directory named "media" in the home directory per the spec, but when I attempt to copy sf_temp directory's content to the oracle/home directory, I get this error:

[oracle@localhost ~]$ cp media/sf_temp oracle/home/media
                      cp: cannot stat `media/sf_temp': No such file or directory
                      [oracle@localhost ~]$ cp c/temp/ media/sf_temp oracle/home/media
                      cp: target `*oracle/home/media' is not a directory*
                      [oracle@localhost ~]$ cd /media
                      [oracle@localhost media]$ ls -l
                      total 10
                      drwxrwx--- 1 root vboxsf 0 Jan 31 17:24 sf_TEMP
                      with *NIX filenames are CASEsensitive.
                      "sf_temp" is a different file from "sf_TEMP"
                      • 38. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                        Srini Chavali-Oracle
                        The command you need to use is

>
                        $ cp /media/sf_TEMP/*.zip /home/oracle/media
                        >

As noted above, if you have no experience with Unix, this is a steep learning curve

HTH
                        Srini
                        • 39. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                          Ant13
                          First, I will start out by saying thanks to everyone who helped me on this Trek- sometime, it felt like I was running down a rabbit hole. But I made it and I could not have done it without your help. Thanks for sacrificing your time and being patient with me, especially Srini.

Ok, to come full circle on this issue, how do I launched the database GUI applications- DBCA, OUI, in linux.

Also, do the environment scripts always have to run before the oracle user can log into the database?

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************
                          [root@localhost oracle]# su - oracle
                          [oracle@localhost ~]$ export ORACLE_BASE=/u01/app/oracle
                          [oracle@localhost ~]$ export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1
                          [oracle@localhost ~]$ export ORACLE_SID=orcl
                          [oracle@localhost ~]$ export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH
                          [oracle@localhost ~]$ export TNS_ADMIN=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/network/admin
                          [oracle@localhost ~]$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Mon Feb 4 03:45:26 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
                          Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
                          With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
                          • 40. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                            Srini Chavali-Oracle
                            Ant13 wrote:
                            First, I will start out by saying thanks to everyone who helped me on this Trek- sometime, it felt like I was running down a rabbit hole. But I made it and I could not have done it without your help. Thanks for sacrificing your time and being patient with me, especially Srini.

Ok, to come full circle on this issue, how do I launched the database GUI applications- DBCA, OUI, in linux.
                            Set the environment variables as you have below, then invoke the executable such as dbca

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10897/install.htm#ADMQS0231
                            Also, do the environment scripts always have to run before the oracle user can log into the database?
                            Yes - this is a requirement

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10839/admin_ora.htm#i46652
                            **********************************************************************************************************************************************************
                            [root@localhost oracle]# su - oracle
                            [oracle@localhost ~]$ export ORACLE_BASE=/u01/app/oracle
                            [oracle@localhost ~]$ export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1
                            [oracle@localhost ~]$ export ORACLE_SID=orcl
                            [oracle@localhost ~]$ export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH
                            [oracle@localhost ~]$ export TNS_ADMIN=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/network/admin
                            [oracle@localhost ~]$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Mon Feb 4 03:45:26 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
                            Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
                            With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
                            HTH
                            Srini
                            1 2 3 Previous Next