This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 5:42 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
    Ant13 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    I want to install an Oracle database on my PC ( Windows home edition) to study-self study- for the OCA exam

Initally,I installed Oracle11g express edition and later realized that the GUI tools such as DBCA, OUI are not part of Oralce XE.

So I installed Oracle 11g enterprise edition and found out that it is not compatible with windows home edition. So I took the alternate route you suggested.

Now, I am in part 3 of 3,( after learning so much...) I can’t quit this fun adventure right now, unless there are more complex-time consuming tasks ahead. I do considere myself a quick learner, however, I am open to your suggestions.

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 30, 2013 1:57 PM
  • 31. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Ant13 wrote:
    I want to install an Oracle database on my PC ( Windows home edition) to study-self study- for the OCA exam

Initally,I installed Oracle11g express edition and later realized that the GUI tools such as DBCA, OUI are not part of Oralce XE.

So I installed Oracle 11g enterprise edition and found out that it is not compatible with windows home edition. So I took the alternate route you suggested.

Now, I am in part 3 of 3,( after learning so much...) I can’t quit this fun adventure right now, unless there are more complex-time consuming tasks ahead. I do considered myself a quick learner, however, I am open to your suggestions.
    Step by Step :
    1- As we said oracle is not certified with Home Editions so we will do the following :

a-install Vmware tools or virtual box software
    b-choose certified OS such as Professional or server editions/ linux redhat
    c-after finish the above steps you need to do preinstallation document related to oracle version .
    d- install oracle without any error

2- everything should works fine
  • 32. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Can you confirm that you installed Linux 5.7 ? If you installed a different version (say 5.8), then you will need to edit the appropriate section (eg ol5_u8_base) in the file "public-yum-el5.repo"

HTH
    Srini
  • 33. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
    Ant13 Newbie
    Here is the Linux version
    [root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/version
    Linux version 2.6.18-274.el5 (mockbuild@ca-build10.us.oracle.com) (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-51)) #1 SMP Mon Jul 25 13:17:49 EDT 2011

And the release with which this version is associated
    [root@localhost ~]# cat /etc/*-release
    Enterprise Linux Enterprise Linux Server release 5.7 (Carthage)
    Oracle Linux Server release 5.7
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.7 (Tikanga)
  • 34. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
    Pl ensure you saved the file after you made the change - if you did, the yum commands should work.

HTH
    Srini
  • 35. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
    Ant13 Newbie
    I want to correctly create the shared folder in c/temp directory before moving forward.
    Initially, I created the shared folder and reboot Linux VM, as specify, however the sf_temp tag was not suffixed to the file name.
    So, I deleted the share folder and created a new one and then reboot.

When I run these commands this output is displayed:

root@localhost ~]# cd /media
    [root@localhost media]# ls -l
    total 10
    drwxrwx--- 1 root vboxsf 0 Jan 28 12:56 sf_TEMP
    dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 2048 Dec 19 09:20 VBOXADDITIONS_4.2.6_82870
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 31 05:02 vboxshared
    [root@localhost media]#

How do I delete these duplicate records and create just one shared folder with a sf_TEMP suffix that shows the actual file size ?
    And how do I change the permissions of the directory in the VM to 777 (drwxrwxrwx)?

Please help!

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 31, 2013 2:56 AM
  • 36. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
    Ant13 Newbie
    Ok, on the file issues, I had multiple files in the root directory with the enabled flag set to 1, so I had to delete one of the files and it worked as expected.
    On my last request, sf_temp file was created but since it did not have a number assigned to it, (like in the case of your screen shots) I assume it was not created. I bet, most roosters were crowing at the time of my writing.

Anyway, I have another issue and please don't give up on me I am almost at the finish line!

Ok, as an oracle user, I created a directory named "media" in the home directory per the spec, but when I attempt to copy sf_temp directory's content to the oracle/home directory, I get this error:

[oracle@localhost ~]$ cp media/sf_temp oracle/home/media
    cp: cannot stat `media/sf_temp': No such file or directory
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ cp c/temp/ media/sf_temp oracle/home/media
    cp: target `*oracle/home/media' is not a directory*
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ cd /media
    [oracle@localhost media]$ ls -l
    total 10
    drwxrwx--- 1 root vboxsf 0 Jan 31 17:24 sf_TEMP
    drwxrwx--- 1 root vboxsf 0 Jan 31 15:23 sf_VBoxShared
    dr-xr-xr-x 6 oracle root 2048 Dec 19 09:20 VBOXADDITIONS_4.2.6_82870
    drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Jan 31 05:02 vboxshared
    [oracle@localhost media]$

please help!
  • 37. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
    sb92075 Guru
    Ant13 wrote:

Ok, as an oracle user, I created a directory named "media" in the home directory per the spec, but when I attempt to copy sf_temp directory's content to the oracle/home directory, I get this error:

[oracle@localhost ~]$ cp media/sf_temp oracle/home/media
    cp: cannot stat `media/sf_temp': No such file or directory
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ cp c/temp/ media/sf_temp oracle/home/media
    cp: target `*oracle/home/media' is not a directory*
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ cd /media
    [oracle@localhost media]$ ls -l
    total 10
    drwxrwx--- 1 root vboxsf 0 Jan 31 17:24 sf_TEMP
    with *NIX filenames are CASEsensitive.
    "sf_temp" is a different file from "sf_TEMP"
  • 38. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
    The command you need to use is

>
    $ cp /media/sf_TEMP/*.zip /home/oracle/media
    >

As noted above, if you have no experience with Unix, this is a steep learning curve

HTH
    Srini
  • 39. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
    Ant13 Newbie
    First, I will start out by saying thanks to everyone who helped me on this Trek- sometime, it felt like I was running down a rabbit hole. But I made it and I could not have done it without your help. Thanks for sacrificing your time and being patient with me, especially Srini.

Ok, to come full circle on this issue, how do I launched the database GUI applications- DBCA, OUI, in linux.

Also, do the environment scripts always have to run before the oracle user can log into the database?

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************
    [root@localhost oracle]# su - oracle
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ export ORACLE_BASE=/u01/app/oracle
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ export ORACLE_SID=orcl
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ export TNS_ADMIN=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/network/admin
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Mon Feb 4 03:45:26 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
    Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
    With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
  • 40. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
    Ant13 wrote:
    First, I will start out by saying thanks to everyone who helped me on this Trek- sometime, it felt like I was running down a rabbit hole. But I made it and I could not have done it without your help. Thanks for sacrificing your time and being patient with me, especially Srini.

Ok, to come full circle on this issue, how do I launched the database GUI applications- DBCA, OUI, in linux.
    Set the environment variables as you have below, then invoke the executable such as dbca

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10897/install.htm#ADMQS0231
    Also, do the environment scripts always have to run before the oracle user can log into the database?
    Yes - this is a requirement

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10839/admin_ora.htm#i46652
    **********************************************************************************************************************************************************
    [root@localhost oracle]# su - oracle
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ export ORACLE_BASE=/u01/app/oracle
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ export ORACLE_SID=orcl
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ export TNS_ADMIN=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/network/admin
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Mon Feb 4 03:45:26 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
    Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
    With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
    HTH
    Srini
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points