This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 10:46 PM by qazianeel RSS

Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine

qazianeel Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello experts

I've to clone my AS in portable hard disk, the document Rapid Clone Documentation Resources For Release 11i and 12 [ID 799735.1] recommend some patches for RapidClone (12.1.1) as below:

1. 9239089 R12.AD.B.DELTA.3
2. TXK AutoConfig Template Rollup patch
3. 9171651_R12.OAM.B_R12_GENERIC
4. 9833058_R12.OAM.B_R12_GENERIC
5. 12404574_R12.OAM.B_R12_GENERIC
6. 12598630_R12.OAM.B_R12_GENERIC

For TXK Autoconfig Template Rollup patch document 387859.1 is given which recommends patch 8919489 for 12.1.X and the same patch is not available when I click on its link or search it manually.

Secondly patch 9171651_R12.OAM.B_R12_GENERIC has prerequisite of some code levels.
     a.     R12.AD.A.delta.4
     b.     R12.TXK.A.delta.4

I don't have any idea about these code levels whether these are already available on my system or not.

Server configuration: Red Hat Linux 5.3, EBS 12.1.1.

Please help.

Regards

Aneel Ahmed

Edited by: qazianeel on Jan 31, 2013 11:39 AM
  • 1. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    EBSDBA Expert
    Hi Aneel,
    For TXK Autoconfig Template Rollup patch document 387859.1 is given which recommends patch 8919489 for 12.1.X and the same patch is not available when I click >on its link or search it manually.
    I just tried to download 8919489 from Metalink, and it is working fine.
    Secondly patch 9171651_R12.OAM.B_R12_GENERIC has prerequisite of some code levels.
    a.     R12.AD.A.delta.4
    b.     R12.TXK.A.delta.4

I don't have any idea about these code levels whether these are already available on my system or not.
    Please refer to chapter 1 and page no 3 in the following link for understanding code lines and code levels
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B53825_08/current/acrobat/121adpp.pdf

and you can even search for patch names like "R12.AD.A.delta.4" in metalink patch search, This way you can get the patch number and query AD_BUGS to check if that patch is applied or not.

Thanks
  • 2. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    qazianeel Newbie
    Thanks for your response :)

Is it necessary to apply all these patches? :-s

& I've to take clone of AS in portable hard disk which I'll use after upgrading my OS. So in this case first I'll run preclone script on both tiers and then just simply copy the Apps and DB directories to the disk. After upgradation I'll copy these directories in system hard disk and will run adcfgclone to configure it. Please let me know if these steps are correct?

Regards

Aneel Ahmed
  • 3. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    EBSDBA Expert
    Hi,
    Is it necessary to apply all these patches? :-s
    They are recommended as they fix bugs encountered during cloning. I would suggest to apply them.

I've to take clone of AS in portable hard disk which I'll use after upgrading my OS. So in this case first I'll run preclone script on both tiers and then just simply copy the >Apps and DB directories to the disk. After upgradation I'll copy these directories in system hard disk and will run adcfgclone to configure it. Please let me know if these >steps are correct?
    Yes this is correct. I would also suggest you to clone on to the other machine to make sure that backup is ok and it is clonable.

We just want to make sure your backup is good, and you can only confirm it is once restored and everything is working fine.

By the way what is the OS?

Thanks
  • 4. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    qazianeel Newbie
    We just want to make sure your backup is good, and you can only confirm it is once restored and everything is working fine.
    Sounds risky, I don't have another machine.

The OS is Red Hat 5.3 but it's not working properly at all so I need to change / upgrade OS. I would install Red Hat 6.

Regards

Aneel Ahmed
  • 5. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    EBSDBA Expert
    Hi Aneel,

Wait, you cannot clone in your current environment. Like you cannot clone directly to Red Hat 6.1.

Because for R12 to work on Red Hat 6.* you have to do many pre - requites.

761566.1 - Oracle E-Business Suite Installation and Upgrade Notes Release 12 (12.1.1) for Linux x86-64
    761564.1 - Oracle E-Business Suite Installation and Upgrade Notes Release 12 (12.1.1) for Linux x86

You must be first upgrade database to 11.2.0.2 on your existing system and also 10g Application server to 10.1.3.5 using

Interoperability Notes Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 with Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2.0) (My Oracle Support Note 1058763.1)
    Upgrading to the Latest OracleAS 10g 10.1.3.x Patch Set in Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 (My Oracle Support Note 454811.1)

Thanks
  • 6. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    qazianeel Newbie
    Hello Sir
    Wait, you cannot clone in your current environment. Like you cannot clone directly to Red Hat 6.1.
    Will it be ok to install point release of Red Hat 5 (like 5.4 or 5.5) other than 5.3 and lower. Will it work then?

Regards

Aneel
  • 7. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    EBSDBA Expert
    Hi,

Yes, it should work. The latest is 5.8 i guess. So you can go for it without any issues.

But i would still insist you to do a test run before doing it for production. Even you can install Linux on a normal PC and make sure the cloning goes well.

Thanks
  • 8. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    qazianeel Newbie
    Hello
    Yes, it should work. The latest is 5.8 i guess. So you can go for it without any issues.
    Thanks alot for your prompt response and time :)

But I need to ask another question if you don't mind, actually I don't want to start a new thread for it because I guess someone else must have asked this question already (though I didn't find it). Is it possible to export a particular user and its data from one AS to another?

Actually we don't have problem in installing a new OS and run clone on it but there is some demonstration data owned by one EBS user named process_ops.

& sorry if my question sounds silly...

Regards

Aneel Ahmed
  • 9. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    EBSDBA Expert
    Hi,

Its ok.

Are you asking about OS user?, If yes then please see

http://www.expertslogin.com/linux-administration/move-user-accounts-linux-server-linux-server/
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-move-migrate-user-accounts-old-to-new-server/
    & sorry if my question sounds silly...
    No never mind.
  • 10. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    qazianeel Newbie
    Hello
    No! actually I'm asking about EBS user like we have default user 'Operations' (in Vision Demo). Is it possible to export it's data to another Application Server?

Regards

Aneel Ahmed
  • 11. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    qazianeel wrote:
    Hello
    No! actually I'm asking about EBS user like we have default user 'Operations' (in Vision Demo). Is it possible to export it's data to another Application Server?

Regards

Aneel Ahmed
    Yes you can -- Use FNDLOAD.

Tips About FNDLOAD [ID 735338.1]
    Can FNDLOAD Migrate User Accounts Without Forcing Users To Change Their Passwords? [ID 376469.1]
    How To Create A New User From Existing User With Same Responsibilities [ID 1474294.1]

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 12. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    qazianeel Newbie
    Hello

I've cloned both Apps & DB tier except some trace files which were not copied due to some read permission.

And there is some 288MB size difference between DB directory of prod & the cloned one and 365MB between Apps directories.

Is it norm?

Regards

Aneel Ahmed
  • 13. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    EBSDBA Expert
    Hi,

Sorry i could not answer your previous question as i was not available.
    And there is some 288MB size difference between DB directory of prod & the cloned one and 365MB between Apps directories
    No it is not normal. You tool backup using which user?

It is better to take the backup using root, because there are some files which are owned by root.

So i always take backup using root then change ownership from oraprod to oraclone and applprod to applclone, like

#find . -owner oraprod -exec chown oraprod:dba {} \;
    #find . -owner applprod -exec chown applprod:dba {} \;

Thanks
  • 14. Re: Cloning R12.1.1 on same mahine
    qazianeel Newbie
    Hello
    It is better to take the backup using root, because there are some files which are owned by root.
    Does it mean I've to repeat all the steps again?
    If no then can I clone it later after 2 days at least :)

Regards

Aneel Ahmed
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points