12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 8:45 AM by saratpvv RSS

backup validate

Hi expert ,

oracle 11g.2 ASM with RAC

we have HP data protecter for backup purposes in TAPE drive , today the tape drive is full
      so i give to my recommendation to my manager to recycle the backup due to we have backup from APR 2012
      he say just check the backup is recoverable or not (if we have corruption can i restore this backup)

i told him there is some feature in oracle rman validate backup , but he need to take the backup and restore it in same
      server or in VM (take the backup and restore it in VM ) and check everything

please give me good links for this issue , be informed please we have 2 nodes node 1, node 2
      so when i restore the backup must i have also 2 nodes and ASM ???

thanks
        • 1. Re: backup validate
          Karan
          http://gavinsoorma.com/2009/11/rman-restore-validate-examples/

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/backup.111/b28270/rcmvalid.htm
          • 2. Re: backup validate
            Fran
            you can make the restore in other database like your manager told you.
            Create a new database on VM of your database o wherever you want, copy the backup there, restore new database from the backup.
            please give me good links for this issue , be informed please we have 2 nodes node 1, node 2
            www.google.com
            www.tahiti.com
            www.oracle-base.com
            www.forums.oracle.com

check by yourself, dont be lazy
            • 3. Re: backup validate
              thanks man for your support , but i know this validate
              i need to so a real restore to check it 100% , this is what my manager till me ...

thanks
              • 4. Re: backup validate
                thanks , but some time it will be good if someone which have good experance
                to share with me his knowledgment.

BTW thanks
                • 5. Re: backup validate
                  Fran
                  yeah, you are right, but where in "please give me good links" is sharing knowledge?... instead search by yourself and sharing your doubts with us.
                  • 6. Re: backup validate
                    Karan
                    If you just want to check weather the backup is valid or not , RESTORE VALIDATE is the option, Rest explain your question properly, i cant understand the grammer you have written
                    • 7. Re: backup validate
                      thanks for your time , but please i do a cloing in database in single node
                      no rac , no asm , but now i need to do cloing with ASM and RAC

also i have 2 nodes , must first prepare 2 VM ???

thanks
                      • 8. Re: backup validate
                        Fran
                        no, you can do a restor from RAC (2 nodes) in a single node database:
                        http://boomslaang.wordpress.com/2009/07/28/restore-the-rman-backup-of-a-rac-to-a-single-instance/
                        • 9. Re: backup validate
                          EdStevens
                          861100 wrote:
                          thanks for your time , but please i do a cloing in database in single node
                          no rac , no asm , but now i need to do cloing with ASM and RAC

also i have 2 nodes , must first prepare 2 VM ???

thanks
                          RAC has to do with allowing multiple instances to operate on a single database. A 'database' is a collection of data files. rman is concerned with backup and restore/recover of a database. That database (= collection of data files) is the same, regardless. Your question suggests a fundamental mis-understanding regarding instance vs. database.
                          • 10. Re: backup validate
                            thanks all for your help

now i take the backup full from prod to test env and i restore the spfile
                            and controlfile with sin node and without asm ,
                            so now i have database one node under file system , prod it's rac 2 node under asm ,
                            but when i restore the datafile the below error is appear :

ORA-19870
                            run {
                             set newname for datafile 1 to  '/home/oradata/MEDI/system.dbf';
                             set newname for datafile 2 to '/home/oradata/MEDI/undotbs01.dbf';
                             set newname for datafile 3 to  '/home/oradata/MEDI/sysaux01.dbf'; 
                             restore datafile 1;
                             restore datafile 2;
                             restore datafile 3;      
                             switch datafile 1;
                             switch datafile 2;
                             switch datafile 3;       
                             recover datafile 1;
                             recover datafile 2;
                             recover datafile 3;        
                            }
                            please advice
                            • 11. Re: backup validate
                              thanks guys , i solve it .
                              • 12. Re: backup validate
                                saratpvv
                                How do you resolve..? Can you please explain..?