This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 7:56 AM by Guenter Reberschak, TU GRAZ RSS

SDDM 3.3 EA Sorting and speed when using find,

Guenter Reberschak, TU GRAZ Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Aces!

1) How can one change the sort order? e.g. Schemas, subviews and tables imported from data dictionary are not sorted alphabetical in relational model.
Also tables when trying to reverse engineer to Logical Model appear in the tree randomly and you can imagine finding the one table out of 2300 you need is almost impossible
(By the way the sort order of the entities and subviews imported from Designer are alright)

2) Using find. When I enter something in the search field it seems to try to find something after each 2 letters and that is really SLOW. !
And what I'd really like to have is when I find something, I want to go the object itself, wherever it is. That means after finding 'MyTable' or 'MyEntity' I want to go to Subview1 where it is and have it selected.

3) And please when (reverse) egineering give us an easy, simple option to select 1 or more tables or entity/ies and let us engineer just those to relational or reverse engineer to logical.

I appreciate all your work you have done with this great replacement for Designer, but sometimes I feel that you think much too complicated/complex and want to pack everything you can imagine into SDDM, when all such simple users as me want to have is a tool to administer entities, tables, FKs, PKs, UKs, Views, ERDs and to generate the database skripts.

regards
Guenter
a friend of KISS
  • 1. Re: SDDM 3.3 EA Sorting and speed when using find,
    Update to 1) Out of despair I tried to import Entities and tables anew and then the sort order was alphabetical. It seems that something went severly wrong.

2 and 3 is still open

best wishes
    Guenter
  • 2. Re: SDDM 3.3 EA Sorting and speed when using find,
    Philip Stoyanov Guru
    Hi Guenter,

thanks for feedback.
    when I find something, I want to go the object itself, wherever it is. That means after finding 'MyTable' or 'MyEntity' I want to go to Subview1 where it is and have it selected.
    if you click on a row in search result you'll see diagrams listed where that object is used. If type is table/entity you can double click on diagram and diagram will be made visible and table/entity will be selected.
    There is a bug and if diagram is not currently visible you need a second double click in order to get object selected. Well it will work for column/attribute and index/key at some point (another bug).

Regards,
    Philip
  • 3. Re: SDDM 3.3 EA Sorting and speed when using find,
    Kent Graziano Oracle ACE Director
    For #3 when you reverse engineer tables from a database you shoul dbe able to click on the tables tab then select or de-select what ever tables you like. Same on the PK, FK, and view tabs.

Are you not seeing that option?
  • 4. Re: SDDM 3.3 EA Sorting and speed when using find,
    Hello Philip!

YESSSS! Thank you. That works. I didn't see it at first because I sized the 'find-window' too small and so I couldn't see that after the title 'diagrams' there were some result rows.

Have you some answers to the engineering windows too?
    e.g. Now I have another problem. I managed to reverse engineer one table to logical model, but when I selected another table and clicking on 'engineer to logical model' I cannot choose this table and the only table available is the first one I did. I cannot see anything to refresh this list. The only thing that seemed to work was unchecking 'exclude unchecked objects from tree' then 'update tree'. And that is a not a logical way to do that, don't you think?
  • 5. Re: SDDM 3.3 EA Sorting and speed when using find,
    Hello Kent!

Yes, you are correct BUT - I have to scroll through 2300 tableslist/rows.
    And you know that it is time consuming for SDDM to build this tree and time consuming to find the right table.

I would suggest to add a new filter entry (actual filters: show all, new, deleted, modified objects) e.g. 'selected objects' to just show those in the tree.

Why? I just imported the tables from the database into a relational model and they are of course neither 'new, deleted, modified objects' and some tables are alas not in the repository as entities. (I don't think that we are the only ones with such problems :-) )
    So the filter is unusable for me. My approach would be to select the necessary tables/entities in the browser window or in a subview and either have the possibility to right click and have an 'engineer' line or to have the possibility to click on the engineer button and only see those selected in the engineer window. That would be a valuable improvement, I think.

Do you understand what I tried to explain? My English is not that good, I know.

best wishes
    Guenter
  • 6. Re: SDDM 3.3 EA Sorting and speed when using find,
    Philip Stoyanov Guru
    Hi Guenter,
    Using find. When I enter something in the search field it seems to try to find something after each 2 letters and that is really SLOW. !
    Search can be :
    1) simple - search is done as you type; all properties of all objects are checked whether match to search expression
    2) advanced - you can select object type, properties to be searched and expressions on them and how to combine defined criteria using OR or AND

depending on scope:
    1) global - all open designs and all loaded models (including physical ones) are searched; simple search only is supported in global search
    2) at model level - only objects in model are included in search, if the model is relational one then all open physical models are included in search

We'll add options how simple search is triggered, but still you can try some tweaks:
    1) increase memory dedicated to Data Modeler - datamodeler\datamodeler\bin\datamodeler64.conf or datamodeler.conf
    default value is:
    AddVMOption -Xmx768M

2) use search at model level, then you can use switch to advanced search
    3) For simple mode check "Stop on First" status - if checked then processing of object will stop after first match
    4) write search expression somewhere else and use copy/paste to activate simple search

you can find more on search here :
    https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=44785:24:10987126881301::NO:24:P24_CONTENT_ID,P24_PREV_PAGE:6621,16
    http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2012/11/sql-developer-data-modeler-v3-3-early-adopter-search/

Regards,
    Philip
  • 7. Re: SDDM 3.3 EA Sorting and speed when using find,
    Dimitar Slavov Journeyer
    One more addition. Search (global and model level) can use regular expressions, so you can take advantage of it.
  • 8. Re: SDDM 3.3 EA Sorting and speed when using find,
    Hello Philip!

Thank you for your answer.

italics 1) simple - search is done as you type; all properties of all objects are checked whether match to search expression

I do not understand this strategy. Almost everywhere I look one enters a search expression and then clicks on a button/link to start the search.
    Isn't that simpler? Or - when you programmed this part you only tested it with HR schema and not with 2000 entities/tables and 4000 relations?
    Sorry that was impolite, but I am a bit desperate with SDDM. I suggested to my management to change from Designer to SDDM because I felt it was mature enough and when I now use it for production I fall into a traphole every
    5 minutes.
    And I only need it for simple works, well at least I regard them so. I just want many small logical models (no I can't use different files because there are many relations to other schemas) and I want to create my 'create/alter table scripts' and the constraints/indizes for PK, FK
    e.g. naming standard is almost useless, I have to edit every script. Oracle Designer was not the best software but it did all that without complaining.

italics 1) global - all open designs and all loaded models (including physical ones) are searched; simple search only is supported in global search
    italics 2) at model level - only objects in model are included in search, if the model is relational one then all open physical models are included in search

I don't feel much difference in time, sorry

italics 1) increase memory dedicated to Data Modele....

I tried that, but couldn't set it more than -Xmx1280M, because of an error 'Unable to create an instance....' (I use SDDM 32Bit because we installed Oracle client win32_11gR2 and SDDM 64bit haggled about not able to connect to my Databases)

italics 4) write search expression somewhere else and use copy/paste to activate simple search
    Be serious, that can't be an option. But I tried it anyway and it really didn't help reducing the waiting time.

Best wishes and don't be upset with me
    I read all the helptopcis, white papers, looked at he videos and I am not a newbie. But I see beneath all those brilliant ideas much immature and unintuitive in SDDM
    Guenter
  • 9. Re: SDDM 3.3 EA Sorting and speed when using find,
    Philip Stoyanov Guru
    Guenter,

how is the search in advanced mode, still slow or you are getting the result faster?

Philip
  • 10. Re: SDDM 3.3 EA Sorting and speed when using find,
    Hello Philip!

Yes, search is much faster using advanced search. You should forget the simple search, which is unusable, at least for bigger models.

Could you please look at my newest elaborate here? And can you tell us something about how you think a good approach to using SDDM with entities/tables over 2000 would be?

Thank you for your time reading
    Guenter

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points