This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 5:17 AM by EdStevens RSS

Unable to open the GUI console

916079 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I need to install a database on EL 5 for which i need to enable the GUI mode.I tried using the xming utilty but still i am unable to bring up the display. I am connecting to a remote server. Could anyone help me to figure this out.

Thanks,
CV
  • 1. Re: Unable to open the GUI console
    bigdelboy Pro
    dba_fresher wrote:
    Hi,

I need to install a database on EL 5 for which i need to enable the GUI mode.I tried using the xming utilty but still i am unable to bring up the display. I am connecting to a remote server. Could anyone help me to figure this out.

Thanks,
    CV
    You have't really described exactly what you have tried and what commands you are typing and what error messages you are getting.

Perhaps the most common senario might be PuTTy and Xming and you would need X11 forwarding set .....

See a tutorial like for example: http://blog.nth-design.com/2010/05/19/x11-putty-xming/ { I have picked this at near randon }

... Assuming it is Oracle Enterprise Database you are installing another option is a silent install.
  • 2. Re: Unable to open the GUI console
    Dude! Guru
    You need to start Xming on your PC, then open PuTTy, enable X Forwarding and open a connection to your server. Do not set any Display variable on your Linux account and do not use the su command as it breaks xauth X11 authentication.
  • 3. Re: Unable to open the GUI console
    EdStevens Guru
    dba_fresher wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks,
    CV
    you want to enable a GUI for the OS or the database control?

For the database control, the interface is web based, so there is nothing to do except issue the 'emctl start dbconsole', then point your browser to the appropriate url.

For the OS, why would you want a GUI? I've been supporting Oracle on *nix (Solaris, AIX, HPUX, Linux) for well over a decade and have never felt a need for a GUI desktop.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points