This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 10:22 AM by 949413 RSS

sata drives on x4100m2

949413 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I added 2 sata drives on a x4100m2. When I try to install an os on it (2008 and 2012) it is really slow, it even takes 20 min just to make/format new drives. However when I put my SAS drives back in everything installs fine. Anyway I would like to know what the issue is, these are 2 500 gig satas....the sas's are 135gig. I might roll with it like its, if I can add my 2 satas as storage
  • 1. Re: sata drives on x4100m2
    bigdelboy Pro
    SGTARKY wrote:
    I added 2 sata drives on a x4100m2. When I try to install an os on it (2008 and 2012) it is really slow, it even takes 20 min just to make/format new drives. However when I put my SAS drives back in everything installs fine. Anyway I would like to know what the issue is, these are 2 500 gig satas....the sas's are 135gig. I might roll with it like its, if I can add my 2 satas as storage
    I have a thought ... that you should check if your sata drives are 4KB sector size. I have heard of some issues with this .... not necessarily related to this. If this is the case then some sector alignment may help. There may be other parameters that help ... relating to caching .... (see e.g. hdparm for linux). Also to state the obvious a 135GB drive is smaller than a 500GB drive and will take at least 4 times longer to fomat etc. These are some thoughts only.
  • 2. Re: sata drives on x4100m2
    949413 Newbie
    yes, I understand it being bigger it will be slower but should the install FAIL after 3hours when using the sata's(100gb partition) but i can install on the sas drives in less the 30 min. I will look at the sector size and report back to you. Since I already installed on the sas I think i will just use the satas for storage altho the sas drives are probably 7 years old.
  • 3. Re: sata drives on x4100m2
    949413 Newbie
    how to change the sectors? is that something I can do in the raid controller?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points