This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2013 2:31 PM by 636309 RSS

Can't connect to 11g XE after installation

636309 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I recently installed Oracle database 11g XE onto my home computer running Windows 32 bit, but I can't connect to the database. I also have Oracle 10g R2 installed on my computer, and I can still connect to it finely. When trying to make a connection in SQL DEVELOPER, I get this error

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

I tried to tnsping the XE database and it returns successfully.
C:\>tnsping xe

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 31-JAN-2
013 07:59:17

Copyright (c) 1997, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Rob-PC)(
PORT = 1522)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = XE)))
OK (21140 msec)
I also navigated to the option to "Run SQL Command Line" in the Windows start menu for 11g, but got another error.
SQL> connect scott/tiger@xe;
ERROR:
ORA-12170: TNS:Connect timeout occurred
Any suggestions?
  • 1. Re: Can't connect to 11g XE after installation
    sb92075 Guru
    arizona9952 wrote:
    Hi,
    I recently installed Oracle database 11g XE onto my home computer running Windows 32 bit, but I can't connect to the database. I also have Oracle 10g R2 installed on my computer, and I can still connect to it finely. When trying to make a connection in SQL DEVELOPER, I get this error

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor
    ORA-12514 ALWAYS only occurs due to a problem on DB Server system.
    One cause of this problem is when the Oracle database is down & needs to be started.
    A remote client send a request to the Listener asking to be connected to a specific service.
    If/when the listener does not know anything about that service, the listener responds with ORA-12514

post results from the following two OS commands:
    lsnrctl status
    lsnrctl service

Since every connection request to the listener gets logged, listener.log file will contain a line with 12514 as status code.

This line contains valuable debugging details. So post this line & surrounding lines.

for additional debugging suggestions read the URL below:
    http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/03/19/ora-12514/
  • 2. Re: Can't connect to 11g XE after installation
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl post details of exact Win version. How are you trying to connect via SQL Developer ?

I would suggest you read Ed's blog on this error -

http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/sqlnet_overview/
    http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/sqlnet_client_cfg/

HTH
    Srini
  • 3. Re: Can't connect to 11g XE after installation
    636309 Newbie
    Thanks Guys, but this problem seemed to fix itself. I can now connect successfully.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points