This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 10:43 PM by Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) RSS

Renaming ASM disks in diskgroup used by OCR

988316 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hey guys,

I am currently facing the following problem.

During the setup of our RAC cluster the disks for the OCR diskgroup were accidentially labeled wrongly.
At the moment I have a diskgroup +OCR_DATA containing the following disks:
ASM_D40ES01_1
ASM_D40_39
ASM_ES01_046

Since these are the first disks in our cluster I would like to rename them:

ASM_D40ES01_1
ASM_D40_001
ASM_ES01_001

I already tried the following:

1. shutdown all cluster resources
2. Remove ASM disk from diskgroup
3. delete ASM disk ASM_D40_39
4. create new ASM disk ASM_D40_001
5. add ASM disk to diskgroup
6. start cluster --> FAILED because ASM was not able to mount the OCR diskgroup. It was still looking for the ASM_D40_39 disk in order to mount properly.

Any ideas on what went wrong are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Bastian
  • 1. Re: Renaming ASM disks in diskgroup used by OCR
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi,

startup the cluster in exclusive mode, then log into ASM and show the status here (select * from v$asm_disks; and select * from v$asm_diskgroup;)

I assume, you have to mount the diskgroup with force (since one disk is missing) and drop the not existing disk, then add the new one.

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 2. Re: Renaming ASM disks in diskgroup used by OCR
    savantsa Newbie
    when u say start cluster --> I assume you are re starting the resources, correct.
    Since you were adding disk / remove disk from ASM, ASM needs to be up.
    So not sure what you mean exactly by "start cluster --> FAILED because ASM was not able to mount the OCR diskgroup. It was still looking for the ASM_D40_39 disk in order to mount properly.".
    Did you stop all clusterware resurce and restart or just restarting resources or what.
    So the exact sequence of events is not clear.

Not enough information here, but,check on the following:
    1. Is that disk visible on the other nodes of the cluster as one would expect.
    2. Is that disk being use for the voting disks. Use "crsctl query css votedisk". I seriously doubt it since the clusterware is still up.
  • 3. Re: Renaming ASM disks in diskgroup used by OCR
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi,

I did not say start cluster. I said start cluster in exclusive mode. That is "crsctl start -excl"
    With this the clusterstack will come up, without the requirement of having access to OCR and Voting. See documentation on how to restore OCR and vote.

This will also help you to startup ASM without having to mount the main diskgroup, and this allows you to do maintanance on the ASM diskgroups (like force mounting etc.) Note: Exclusive also says that you can do this exclusively on one node, not on all.

Regards
    Sebastian

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points