This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 9:41 PM by 439943 RSS

User privileges for Object retrieval in tree

439943 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

What privileges etc does an Oracle user account have to have to be able to load Tables, Views etc in the Connections tree?

I have an admin user account which loads all objetcs and a read-only user account which cannot load any.

I would prefer to use the Read-Only account for day-to-day querying etc, but still want it to be able to load objects into the tree.

Cheers
Bas Groeneveld
Benchmark Design
  • 1. Re: User privileges for Object retrieval in tree
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    What privileges etc does an Oracle user account have to have to be able to load Tables, Views etc in the Connections tree?

I have an admin user account which loads all objetcs and a read-only user account which cannot load any.

I would prefer to use the Read-Only account for day-to-day querying etc, but still want it to be able to load objects into the tree.
    >
    You didn't say what the point was in seeing things that you can't do anything with but try this
    create user read_only_user identified by read_only_user

grant create session to read_only_user

grant select any dictionary to read_only_user
    Then use the 'Other Users' part of the tree to examine objects

That is all you need in 11g.
  • 2. Re: User privileges for Object retrieval in tree
    439943 Newbie
    Thank you.

We had done part of that (grant select any dictionary to read_only_user), but I had forgotten about the 'Other Users' tree node (even though i now recall having used it some years ago)

Thanks
    Bas

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points