5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2013 6:35 PM by vladodias RSS

Is OSB Business Service is similar to BPEL's partnerlink?

priya4priya
      Is OSB Business Service is similar to BPEL's partnerlink?

Thanks
      Priyadarshi
        • 1. Re: Is OSB Business Service is similar to BPEL's partnerlink?
          vladodias
          Hi,

I see OSB Business Services as the way to call services that are external to OSB... The oracle definition is bellow...

Business services are Oracle Service Bus definitions of the enterprise services with which you want to exchange messages. You define business services using WSDLs (Web Services Definition Language) just as you would define a proxy service. However, the configuration of business services differs from that of proxy services in that a business service does not have a pipeline. Therefore, a business service is any service not implemented by the Oracle Service Bus pipelines.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/admin.1111/e15867/business_services.htm#OSBAG990

Cheers,
          Vlad
          • 2. Re: Is OSB Business Service is similar to BPEL's partnerlink?
            priya4priya
            THanks Vlad! I has already gone through the OSB documentation. Just wanted to know the role business service. Lets say I am developing interface between two application. Then I will develop a proxy service which will interface with the client and also contain message transformation and routing through message pipeline.

Then I wanted to know the role of business service? Is it mendatory step? If it is optional, then at which scenario, we need to develop?

In BPEL, when it requires interact with external system ( external application, Database, Queues or anything), it creates a partnerlink for each interaction. SO when I compare BPEL with OSM, I am finding PROXY Service is similat to BPEL activity flow which codes how message will be processed. Then qurious to know if BUSINESS service is like partnerlink, which will required to interact external system?

Thanks
            Priyadarshi
            • 3. Re: Is OSB Business Service is similar to BPEL's partnerlink?
              Prabu
              Yes business services are used to interact with outbound external systems.

eg external webservices, Database querying/update/insert, Queues , file system or any write like activities.

You would use proxy service as you said along with database polling/file polling or any read like activities - queue read/file read etc.
              • 4. Re: Is OSB Business Service is similar to BPEL's partnerlink?
                AbhishekJ
                If you want to draw a comparison of components between Oracle SOA Suite composite and Oracle Service Bus, I would say following:
                In Oracle SOA Suite SCA composite, you have three lanes for components, Service Interfaces, Components and References.
                You put exposed service interfaces, read adapters for JMS, File, FTP, DB etc in service interfaces lane. These are the entry points which are exposed for your composite application.
                You put SOA components like BPEL, Mediator, HWF and Business Rules in components lane, these are the implementation components of your composite application where you write the service logic.
                You put adapters to call external services, send messages out to JMS, DB, File etc in References lane. These are the points from which call is made from composite to an external entity.

If you compare above with OSB, Proxy Service will be equivalent to Service Interfaces and Components lane as it provides both the interface to external consumers and also the has the implementation logic.
                Business Service will be equivalent to artifacts in Reference lane as they provide the connectivity to call external entities from OSB.
                • 5. Re: Is OSB Business Service is similar to BPEL's partnerlink?
                  vladodias
                  priya4priya wrote:
                  Then qurious to know if BUSINESS service is like partnerlink, which will required to interact external system?
                  This for me looks like an philosophical discussion with no practical outcome... Are apples like oranges? Sure they are, they are both fruits and are both good to eat...
                  Business services and partner links have each one its own concept that's valid in its own context...