3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 5:10 PM by Vuvarov-Oracle RSS

How to run a background job with the cloud_scheduler package

Rod West
      Hi,

Is the cloud_scheduler package able to run background jobs as documented? When you try to run a job in another session using:

cloud_scheduler.run_job(job_name=>'MYJOB', use_current_session=>false);

The call fails with:

ORA-20002: Cannot run job MYJOB. Adhoc background execution is disallowed. Please enable the job instead.

If you try to use cloud_scheduler.enable to run the job then the job does not run when scheduled.

Rod West
        • 1. Re: How to run a background job with the cloud_scheduler package
          Vuvarov-Oracle
          Hi Rod,

Yes, I believe so. Here's a test case that I just ran successfully from SQL Workshop in my database trial service:
          create table myjob_test (aa timestamp with time zone);

begin
              cloud_scheduler.create_job (
                  job_name        => 'MYJOB',
                  job_type        => 'PLSQL_BLOCK',
                  job_action      => 'begin insert into myjob_test values (systimestamp); commit; end;',
                  repeat_interval => 'freq=minutely; interval=3' );
          end;
          /

begin
              cloud_scheduler.enable ( name => 'MYJOB' );
          end;
          /

select job_name, state, run_count, failure_count, last_start_date, next_run_date, systimestamp from sys.user_scheduler_jobs;

select * from myjob_test order by aa;
          Is the next_run_date in the past for your job? If it is, try disabling/enabling the job to "reinitialize" the job's schedule.

-- Vlad
          • 2. Re: How to run a background job with the cloud_scheduler package
            Rod West
            Hi Vlad,

Tested this again and the enable job now works. Not sure why it didn't before or why you get the error when you run_job with use_current_session=>false.

Thanks for your help.
            Rod
            • 3. Re: How to run a background job with the cloud_scheduler package
              Vuvarov-Oracle
              Rod,

The error with use_current_session=>false is expected due to resource limitations imposed by the cloud_scheduler package. The documentation is not clear about this, and I asked for it to be clarified.

http://docs.oracle.com/cloud/CSDBU/develop.htm#BABBHJDB

-- Vlad