8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 8:30 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

11gR2 examples install error

Sabrina711
      $ echo $ORACLE_BASE
      /u01/oracle/VIS/db/tech_st
      echo $ORACLE_HOME
      /u01/oracle/VIS/db/tech_st/11.2.0

But when I ran the runIstaller of examples CD, it detected my base home automatically as:/u01/oracle/VIS/db/tech_st/11.2.0 and it can not be updated(not editable).
      So I encounter the error:[INS-32052] Oracle base and Oracle home locations are same.

Experts,
      How can solve this problem?
        • 1. Re: 11gR2 examples install error
          yoonas
          HI,

>
          $ echo $ORACLE_BASE
          /u01/oracle/VIS/db/tech_st
          (quote}

Is this your actual ORACLE_BASE?

Unset it before you run runInstaller and see

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17766/common_errormessages.htm

Regards
          Yoonas
          • 2. Re: 11gR2 examples install error
            Sabrina711
            How to confirm what is my actual ORACLE BASE?
            • 3. Re: 11gR2 examples install error
              yoonas
              How is it getting set without you actually setting it. Its set in your terminal that's why oui takes it.
              • 4. Re: 11gR2 examples install error
                Sabrina711
                OUI didn't take it.
                I set it manually like export ORACLE_BASE=u01/oracle/VIS/db/tech_st
                but OUI take the value as /u01/oracle/VIS/db/tech_st/11.2.0.It's wrong!!!
                And I can't change it,because it is uneditable!

But when I change the path of SOFTWARE LOCATION,for example /u01/oracle/VIS/db/tech_st/11.2.0a, the textbox of oracle base can be editable.Why?
                If I delete the a in SOFTWARE LOCATION,the oracle base changed into /u01/oracle/VIS/db/tech_st/11.2.0 automatically.It's amazing but wrong!
                • 5. Re: 11gR2 examples install error
                  Sabrina711
                  I unset the ORACLE_BASE like

[oracle@infsgvm09 ~]$ echo $ORACLE_BASE

[oracle@infsgvm09 ~]$ echo $ORACLE_HOME

But the ORALCE_BASE patch in Universal installer is also the same as my ORACLE_HOME and can not be edit.I think it's a bug of OUI.
                  • 6. Re: 11gR2 examples install error
                    EdStevens
                    Sabrina711 wrote:
                    I unset the ORACLE_BASE like

[oracle@infsgvm09 ~]$ echo $ORACLE_BASE

[oracle@infsgvm09 ~]$ echo $ORACLE_HOME

But the ORALCE_BASE patch in Universal installer is also the same as my ORACLE_HOME and can not be edit.I think it's a bug of OUI.
                    Either there is a bug in OUI or you have a misunderstanding of how to correctly set ORACLE_BASE and ORACLE_HOME. What are the odds ....?

Your stated ORACLE_HOME looks specious. It normally would be something like '/u01/oracle/VIS/db/tech_st/11.2.0/db_1'. Notice the additional directory beyond '11.2.0'.

And actually, by default would be '/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1'. The fact that you have set it to be something so different suggests you tried to be smarter than Oracle when you installed the product and created your database.

Let's start from the beginning. Show us the contents of /etc/oraInst.loc.

In that file you should see a line like:
                    inventory_loc=/u01/app/oraInventory
                    Take whatever value your file shows as inventory_loc, then within that directory, show us the contents of '../ContentsXML/inventory.xml'

Also, show us the contents of /etc/oratab
                    • 7. Re: 11gR2 examples install error
                      Osama_Mustafa
                      INS-32052     Oracle base and Oracle home locations are same.
                      Cause:Oracle base and Oracle home locations cannot be same. Oracle recommends installing Oracle software within the Oracle base directory. Adjust the Oracle home or Oracle base accordingly.
                      Action:Oracle base and Oracle home locations were same.
                      • 8. Re: 11gR2 examples install error
                        Srini Chavali-Oracle
                        This is an R12 EBS Vision install - hence the structure you see. Why are you trying to install the Examples CD ? Have you sourced the database environment file to set appropriate environment variables ?

HTH
                        Srini