6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 1:58 PM by InoL RSS

Oracle Forms 6i data handling issue

Currently my old client is using oracle Forms 6i the database is connect to oracle 9i. And they using windows server 2003.
      But now when user access this oracle forms very very slow.

Let said user just login the system (oracle Forms 6i) , it take around 1 minutes only can access it.That is very slow.
      When i check total of user access who can access system is around 280.

* However i found out issue is too much of data here.

I have 2 solution to fixed it this problem but i don't think is correct way.
      1) Backup data and remove some history data ,then system will run smoothly
      2) Create new system which involve data migration , eg: one system is for store history data. (Most of user are not actively using it) . Then another system is new one which user are currently use it

So need to ask is except solution which list above , is it other solution can fixed it ?
      Or is it oracle 9i cannot handling to much of data?

*Please correct me if worng                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
        • 1. Re: Oracle Forms 6i data handling issue

You should try putting some indexes on your tables, that can often help significantly.

• 2. Re: Oracle Forms 6i data handling issue
            If the form the user is using selects all rows from a table with thousands of rows, and also has an order-by clause, THAT will take a very long time to populate a block.

As Tony wrote: Indexes will also help, if the form is trying to find specific rows.

It is difficult to make any recommendations with the limited description of the problem.
            • 3. Re: Oracle Forms 6i data handling issue
              Hi, Tony

Sorry that i didn't mention that actually most of indexes already put in table , but still very slow.....
              • 4. Re: Oracle Forms 6i data handling issue
                Hi, Steve

Indexes normally will help to speed out to find out specific rows but in my current case is quite slow.
                And i don't think have put order-by clause into oracle forms source code.

However i forgot to mention that 1 server got around 5 database, each database for using different purpose.
                I still not sure whether its is also the root clause became server very slow.

P/s: Is it can put specific index into oracle forms as well ? Sorry Im newbie...
                • 5. Re: Oracle Forms 6i data handling issue
                  You really have not described what your form is doing. All you have said is "It is slow."

If you want any suggestions, you need to explain:

Is every form extremely slow?
                  Is it when the form just starts up that takes a long time?
                  Is it when you query data that takes a long time?

Can you change data on the form and commit? If yes, is that quick or slow?

If you want help, you need to explain.
                  • 6. Re: Oracle Forms 6i data handling issue
                    Let said user just login the system (oracle Forms 6i) , it take around 1 minutes only can access it
                    Unless you have some code in you on-logon trigger, I don't think the problem is Forms.

What happens if you just log in with sqlplus? Slow too? Your DBA and system administrator should take a look then.