This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2013 5:00 PM by 985917 RSS

1z0-147 or 1z0-052

985917 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am lost between the 1z0-147 and 1z0-052,
I was a sql developer before.. but I don't have much experience, so I decided to go back and work in databases. I now took the 1z0-007 and the next step is one of the two mentioned above.

Which one would be better to boost my career?
which one is easier to start with ?
thank you guys
  • 1. Re: 1z0-147 or 1z0-052
    matthew_morris Expert
    I am lost between the 1z0-147 and 1z0-052,
    First of all, I'd recommend 1Z0-144 over 1Z0-147. Here's why:

http://ezinearticles.com/?id=7190832

Which one would be better to boost my career?
    1Z0-144 would be better to boost your career as an Oracle developer. 1Z0-052 would be better to boost your career as an Oracle DBA. Which of the two is better depends on you, not on any merits of the two career paths. You might be a good DBA but a horrible developer... or the reverse (or good at both or terrible at both). I don't know you so can't even begin to guess.

If you mean which is more likely to get you a job -- look at jobs in your area. Are companies hiring Oracle DBAs? Are they hiring Oracle developers? I don't know where you live, so can't check for you.
    which one is easier to start with ?
    Not the right question. You don't pick a certification because it is easy. You select an IT certification that is most likely to boost your career. In any event, that takes us back to the above... whether you find the exams easy or hard depends on you -- not on the exam. If someone tells you that exam A was easier than exam B, they are only talking about how easy it was for them. Even then, a huge portion of how easy people find these exams is how well they prepare. Do enough preparation before the exam and any of them are easy. These are multiple choice tests. If you have read and understood the material, the answer is always sitting right in front of you on test day.
  • 2. Re: 1z0-147 or 1z0-052
    985917 Newbie
    So Matthew, Would it be safe to say I can go for the 1z0-052 even though I don't have lot of experience in PL/sql programming ?
  • 3. Re: 1z0-147 or 1z0-052
    matthew_morris Expert
    Would it be safe to say I can go for the 1z0-052 even though I don't have lot of experience in PL/sql programming ?
    Not really sure what you mean to be asking. 1Z0-052 is the DBA certification, 1Z0-144 is the PL/SQL certification:

*1Z0-052: Oracle Database 11g: Administration I*
    *1Z0-144: Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL*

That said, when you are entering the field, the point of studying for a certification isn't because you already know what is being tested. The point is to use them to increase what you know about the subjects covered in the exam. An experienced DBA or developer might take the certifications specifically as a means to validate to themselves, or their employers, that they know the information. However, from your post, the indication you have given is that you don't have the knowledge to pass either exam right now. Whichever path you choose, you'll need to learn. That being the case, you need to decide which path you would prefer -- either from a personal desire to be a DBA vs a Developer, or from the standpoint of which you feel to be in greater demand in your geographical area.

Anyone with the ability to study and retain information can pass either exam. Anyone who doesn't have the ability to study and retain information shouldn't be in this field. There are fields where those capabilities are not required. Just about anyone can say "Would you like fries with that?"
  • 4. Re: 1z0-147 or 1z0-052
    985917 Newbie
    Thank you Matthew.. I am going for the 1z0-144
    Thanks a lot

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points