This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 4:23 AM by CL RSS

Hyperion Planning page files

988938 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,
I have a Hyperion Planning application with 9 dimensions. It came live on July last year. From then the users are submitting data and using the application. We have both actuals and budget data. The page files have increased to 41. Because of this the performance has degraded significantly.
Can anyone suggest what needs to be done in order to tune the performance and bring down the page files count.
According to my understanding we should not have more than 15-20 page files.
  • 1. Re: Hyperion Planning page files
    JohnGoodwin Oracle ACE
    Do you regularly defrag the databases? If not then I would give that a go and see how much it reduces the size, if it is still large then application design can be a factor

Cheers

John
    http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
  • 2. Re: Hyperion Planning page files
    Prabhas Journeyer
    985935 wrote:
    Hi all,
    I have a Hyperion Planning application with 9 dimensions. It came live on July last year. From then the users are submitting data and using the application. We have >both actuals and budget data. The page files have increased to 41. Because of this the performance has degraded significantly.
    A. Have u noticed .pag files are increasing while running B'rules?

B. How many years of data does it contains? ("If it contains data from Jul'12 then problem with designing or dirty blocks")

C. Also go thru below link to understand "Limitations on size of dense dimensions for optimum performance" [Check Block size]
    http://analytiks.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/limitations-on-size-of-dense-dimensions-for-optimum-performance/

Better defrag the db and check .pag files..
  • 3. Re: Hyperion Planning page files
    CL Oracle ACE Director
    I've built Planning apps (or just BSO databases) with 500K block sizes and while that wasn't my first choice it performed adequately.

My guess is as the above posters have noted:
    1) You rarely, if ever, do a full restructure from MaxL or EAS. Try it (and if you are on 11.1.2.2, try the parallel restructure) but make sure you have (to be safe) a roughly equal amount of free space for Essbase to write out the defragmented (and removal of dead blocks) PAG files.
    2) You have tons of data that you do not use. If it isn't used for budgeting, rip it out and stick it in a reporting cube.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points