3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 8:01 AM by Jiri.Machotka-Oracle RSS

WCM Contributed content not getting released automatically

Boopathy
      Hi,

We have enabled WCM site in our project by integrating Webcenter portal and content.
      When the user is performing in-context editing, approval process goes fine. But even after the content is released, unless the user press the contribution console (CTLR+SHIFT+C) and then click on the blue refresh button of the contributor console, it is not getting refreshed.

Any pointers on this will be very helpfull.

Regards,
      Bhaskar
        • 1. Re: WCM Contributed content not getting released automatically
          Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
          This is the correct behavior.

Imagine, you have two users A and B. A is a contributor, and B is a reviewer with authorization to modify the content.

A opens a browser, changes to contrib mode and does some changes. If A at this point logs out, or leaves contrib mode, the original content is displayed (as if content has not been changed). Note that entering contrib mode again should not work - content is locked in a workflows, isn't it?
          If B opens a browser, logs in, she should see the changes (only after being logged in). The changes are confirmed - B could also provide additional changes. Only at this point, changes are made public to all users, incl. user A, who needs to refresh her browser.

I'm curious what you would like to behave differently.
          • 2. Re: WCM Contributed content not getting released automatically
            Boopathy
            Hi Jiri,

My query is, user A make some changes and then it goes through approval process and the content is released in UCM.
            But still the change is not reflected in the website unless i do a CTRL+SHIFT+C and then refresh it.

Regards,
            Bhaskar
            • 3. Re: WCM Contributed content not getting released automatically
              Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
              Who is 'i' in this sentence:
              But still the change is not reflected in the website unless i do a CTRL+SHIFT+C and then refresh it.
              I guess you mean User A - she should see changes only after they have been approved by User B. And to do that she needs to refresh the browser (if User B rejects changes, or does additional modifications, the content might change - imagine, that User A would like to do some more changes - she would change an invalid version, or User B could potentially approve not the latest version).

There is one confusing thing: if you save changes, the system triggers the workflow, but does not close the contrib mode (note that if the content is to be approved, it no longer belongs to User A, but to User B).
              If you understand that for items in workflows 'Save' should also mean (and should be ideally followed by) immediate CTRL+SHIFT+C (leaving the contrib mode), than User A, like any other User C who does not participate in the workflow at all, sees the last approved revision of the content - thus, the version prior to changes.

The ultimate reason for this behavior is CHECK-IN/OUT mechanism - only one user can edit a document at one time, which in combination with workflows - new version is not available until approved by all reviewers in a workflow can lead to this. But if you want to have consistent content there is no way around.