770149 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have an Essbase Cube (verions 11.1.2.2) with a scenario dimension like this:

Scenario (Parent, Label only)
Actuals (+) (Two Pass)
Budget (~) (Two Pass)
FieldEst (~)(Two Pass)
FieldEstTotal (~)(Two Pass)

When we put data to FieldEstTotal, the data shows up at Actuals and no FieldEstTotal data exist. I think it is caused by implicit share, ie Actuals always equals to Scenario. Then because of two pass,FieldEstTotal data is passed to Scenario. Is my theory correct? I am not too sure the two pass part. Anyone can explain more clearly to me how it happens in this cause?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Implicit share and two pass calc caused weird data
    user8927833 Newbie
    try putting never shared at parent scenario . looks like implicit sharing issue . Never shared will remove the implicit sharing and two different cells will be created for first child and its parent
  • 2. Re: Implicit share and two pass calc caused weird data
    sunil k Journeyer
    There is no implicit sharing here as Scenario is tagged as Label Only. Label only members do not have any storage.

Have a read about two pass at this and this will give you an idea how you should be using them. two pass is generally used with formula/dyna calced members. I am not sure why would you want to tag FieldEstTotal as two pass when you are inputting data to it.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17236_01/epm.1112/esb_dbag/dotattrs.html

Regards,
    Sunil

Edited by: sunil k on Feb 4, 2013 9:50 AM
  • 3. Re: Implicit share and two pass calc caused weird data
    770149 Newbie
    By changing Scenario from Label only to Never Share fixed the data issue. But I am still not sure whether the original issue is caused by implicit share or the two passes. BTW, I inherit the design and I do not know the reason why those members is tagged as two pass. I agree they should not be as none of them as member formulas.
  • 4. Re: Implicit share and two pass calc caused weird data
    user8927833 Newbie
    issue was caused from the implicit sharing . My tagging it as never shared essbase created two different cell for parent and its child .

two pass calc is used where you want to recalculate the member again
  • 5. Re: Implicit share and two pass calc caused weird data
    sunil k Journeyer
    Well i do not think it should be called implied sharing issue from the definition per se - label only member can never have its own storage and they would always display what their first child has. So the issue of implied sharing does not arise. Implied share is between two members which should get storage space in the database but ESSBASE decides to optimize and provides space only for one. I do not think same mechanism would be at work between label only and a stored member.

Will leave it upto Gurus to provide their closing thought on it !!

Regards,
    Sunil

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points