This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 1:25 AM by karan RSS

Rman Backup Error

845641 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am on 11G R2 Linux OEL 5.4, Funny thing is wallet is already off and CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; Still not able to backup , it says wallet not open

SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
CORE 11.2.0.1.0 Production
TNS for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production

RMAN> show ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE ;

RMAN configuration parameters for database with db_unique_name SALES are:
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF;

RMAN> backup database ;

Starting backup at 05-FEB-13
using channel ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: starting full datafile backup set
channel ORA_DISK_1: specifying datafile(s) in backup set
input datafile file number=00001 name=/u01/app/oracle/oradata/sales/system01.dbf
input datafile file number=00003 name=/u01/app/oracle/oradata/sales/undotbs01.dbf
input datafile file number=00002 name=/u01/app/oracle/oradata/sales/sysaux01.dbf
input datafile file number=00005 name=/u01/app/oracle/oradata/sales/example01.dbf
input datafile file number=00004 name=/u01/app/oracle/oradata/sales/users01.dbf
channel ORA_DISK_1: starting piece 1 at 05-FEB-13
RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ORA_DISK_1 channel at 02/05/2013 01:28:38
ORA-28365: wallet is not open
continuing other job steps, job failed will not be re-run
channel ORA_DISK_1: starting full datafile backup set
channel ORA_DISK_1: specifying datafile(s) in backup set
including current control file in backup set
including current SPFILE in backup set
channel ORA_DISK_1: starting piece 1 at 05-FEB-13
channel ORA_DISK_1: finished piece 1 at 05-FEB-13
piece handle=/u01/app/oracle/flash_recovery_area/SALES/backupset/2013_02_05/o1_mf_ncsnf_TAG20130205T012837_8k04qj32_.bkp tag=TAG20130205T012837 comment=NONE
channel ORA_DISK_1: backup set complete, elapsed time: 00:00:01
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ORA_DISK_1 channel at 02/05/2013 01:28:38
ORA-28365: wallet is not open
  • 1. Re: Rman Backup Error
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

I think issuing this right before the backup should fix the problem assuming you have the correct wallet :

ALTER SYSTEM SET ENCRYPTION WALLET OPEN IDENTIFIED BY "<password>";

OR

Get rid of the configured encrypted backup.

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 2. Re: Rman Backup Error
    845641 Newbie
    i dont need the wallet , i deleted it from os directory, and do u see that configure encryption for database is OFF ; why i am getting the error
  • 3. Re: Rman Backup Error
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    If you have RMAN encryption turned off but are using tablespace encryption on the database then the functionality is the same. RMAN can just back them up as they are without any decryption/re-encryption overhead. Wallet is not needed for this case.

However it is different for the compressed backup case. Encrypted blocks when fed into the compression algorithm directly will not benefit from compression because of the random characteristic of ciphertext. Hence, for compressed backup on an encrypted tablespace, RMAN must decrypt all the blocks, compress them, and encrypt them using RMAN encryption. In order for RMAN to complete this task, the wallet must be available.

In short, for compressed backups of encrypted backups the wallet must be available for backup and restore of the target. The wallet must also exist on the auxiliary if such backup is used by the RMAN duplicate. If the wallet is not available, rman will return errors like ORA-19913: unable to decrypt backup and/or ORA-28365: wallet is not open.

** take Uncompressed backup or turn on the RMAN encryption.
  • 4. Re: Rman Backup Error
    845641 Newbie
    Mr Sharma you need to get ur concepts right, firstly my backup is not getting compressed as i am just saying backup database, secondly there is NO tablespace level encryption also, thirdly my wallet does not exists at all anymore, and did you SEE CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE IS ALREADY OFF

Edited by: 842638 on Feb 4, 2013 12:22 PM
  • 5. Re: Rman Backup Error
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    Can you post the output of his command please?

RMAN> show all;
  • 6. Re: Rman Backup Error
    845641 Newbie
    Any update msberg ?? Even my sqlnet.ora doesnt exists anymore, i deleted it to make sure it doesnt read it anymore, tried relogging and backing up , no luck :(
  • 7. Re: Rman Backup Error
    845641 Newbie
    I already showed u below

NOW what setting are you looking for ?
    RMAN> show all;

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; # default
    CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default
    CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
    CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP OFF;
    CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; # default
    CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET; # default
    CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
    CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
    CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
    CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default
    CONFIGURE COMPRESSION ALGORITHM 'BASIC' AS OF RELEASE 'DEFAULT' OPTIMIZE FOR LOAD TRUE;
    CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default
    CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO '/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/dbs/snapcf_sales.f'; # default
    Edited by: 842638 on Feb 4, 2013 12:29 PM
  • 8. Re: Rman Backup Error
    mseberg Guru
    Withdrawn.

I wish you the best of luck.

mseberg
  • 9. Re: Rman Backup Error
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    Dude, Talk with the respect because everybody is trying to help here. My concepts are clear. You do not need to right 'compress' on the fly. You can pre configure your channel for compression. As you did not give that information so I was throwing all the options.

I said that also if your tablespace is encrypted and if you are not using RMAN level encryption, RMAN should go fine. This is in the first paragraph.
  • 10. Re: Rman Backup Error
    845641 Newbie
    See above msberg, i already did that
  • 11. Re: Rman Backup Error
    845641 Newbie
    I am not using RMAN encryption anyway, you need to read my question first properly and then answer, in my first question i already showed you the folllowing

• 12. Re: Rman Backup Error
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    That my first line was not an answer. i was trying to give you all the scenarios. What I was trying to check is if you are using tablespace encryption and if you are taking compressed backup,it could create the problem. I never said you are using RMAN encryption. Get your english straight sir and get some etiquette to talk in forums.

Good luck with your thread.
  • 13. Re: Rman Backup Error
    845641 Newbie
    Neither i am using tablespace encryption neither i am using rman compression , so dont waste my time and your time on forum by giving explanations, if you have a solution give me dont write what is not required please. This saves my time and your time please T Sharma.
  • 14. Re: Rman Backup Error
    karan Pro
    Im not sure weather you are label security and vault enabled software, i have had some issues with that for the same, buy the way are you using that ? and did you delete the wallet from rm command manually ? let me tell you should not delete like that if u did..
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points