2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 10:15 PM by 823085 RSS

How Backup optimization and Backup retention period work?

I am a bit confused about how these 2 features are going to work together.

Incase I have backup optimization set to on and have backup retention set to one day. Then I have this "users" tablespace which is readonly. Please let me know if my below understanding is correct.

Date................Action................................Backup
      -----
      Monday............Full backup.........................."users" backed up
      Tuesday...........Full backup..........................."users" not backed up
      Wendesday......Delete Obselete...................."users" backup deleted
      Thursday.........Restore Database...................??????

I wondering if at Thursday am I still able to restore the database in case "users" tablespace are deleted?
        • 1. Re: How Backup optimization and Backup retention period work?
          mseberg
          Hello;

Retention set to one day - This is way too low. You risk losing more than your example asks. Set this higher. ( start with 2 or 3 and test, test, test )

How backup optimization works with regards to the retention policy?

RMAN will only work with files within the retention period.

For example, consider performing a backup with optimization enabled and a retention period of 5 days.

RMAN will only compare the datafile with backup sets within the 5 day period - even if the datafile it is about to backup hasn't changed within that 5 days.

So you have to be very careful. Given your retention policy is so low, I would not use optimization.

I wondering if at Thursday am I still able to restore the database in case "users" tablespace are deleted? Pretty good chance you will lose data.

Test your retention period inside and out before you look at optimization.

Best Regards

mseberg
          • 2. Re: How Backup optimization and Backup retention period work?
            Hi mseberg,

I think you answered my question. Thank you so much