4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 9:53 AM by EdStevens RSS

connection failed to connect the database

I have created the database using the script so there is no entry is there in listener.ora,do i need to place an entry in listener.ora or in tnsnames.ora,
      since tnsnames.ora is having the all the database details and Listener.ora file is used to as access point in my listener.ora i am not having seeing any database name or SID, where as tnsnames.ora will contain some thing like this

ORCL =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
      (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)
      )
      )

I am not able to connect the database via sqlplus developer test failed no more data to read from socket
      i have placed my new database details in tnsnames.ora and i have restarted listener where as i am unable to see the newly created database in lsnrctl status
      What is missing in the installation.
        • 1. Re: connection failed to connect the database
          EdStevens
          933663 wrote:
          I have created the database using the script so there is no entry is there in listener.ora,do i need to place an entry in listener.ora or in tnsnames.ora,
          since tnsnames.ora is having the all the database details and Listener.ora file is used to as access point in my listener.ora i am not having seeing any database name or SID, where as tnsnames.ora will contain some thing like this

ORCL =
          (DESCRIPTION =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
          (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
          (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)
          )
          )

I am not able to connect the database via sqlplus developer test failed no more data to read from socket
          i have placed my new database details in tnsnames.ora and i have restarted listener where as i am unable to see the newly created database in lsnrctl status
          What is missing in the installation.
          What error message do you get when you try to connect with sqlplus?
          Is the database running on the same box as your SQL Developer client?

see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/sqlnet_overview/] Help! I can’t connect to my database
          see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/sqlnet_client_cfg/] Help! I can’t connect to my database (part duex) 
          • 2. Re: connection failed to connect the database
            Billy~Verreynne
            Duplicate thread Ed... and these questions you have asked, have been already asked, and ignored by OP... +<sigh>+

test failed no more data to read from socket
            • 3. Re: connection failed to connect the database
              Thanks After making changes in listener.ora i'm able to connect

Thanks!
              • 4. Re: connection failed to connect the database
                EdStevens
                Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
                Duplicate thread Ed... and these questions you have asked, have been already asked, and ignored by OP... +<sigh>+

test failed no more data to read from socket
                Ah. I had not been following that thread.

And after reading it ...... +<double sigh>+