2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 6:14 AM by Michel RSS

Security for WS created using Provide Web Service Wizard

We have "Provided few PeopleSoft WSDLs" to a third party that uses these WSDLs to fetch data from PeopleSoft. (Perfect!)

Problem: Anyone else other than the third party, who knows the WSDL URL and Request Parameters can get the data from PeopleSoft. (Not Good!)

Question: What is the simplest way to implement WSDL / WS Security so that only a particluar external system/target system (Fusion/Salesforce/etc..) can only invoke them to fetch data from PSFT? (or) In other words, Can we configure the PeopleSoft IB with a 'white list' of requesting domains that are allowed to invoke the services, say (google.com,salesforce.com,oracle.com)

In short What is the simplest method to secure WS created using Provide Web Service Wizard! ?

Any suggestions to make these WSDL URLs safe will be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

Regards,
      Ashish
        • 1. Re: Security for WS created using Provide Web Service Wizard
          Hi Ashish,

WS-Security can be enabled by checking the "User/Password Required" check-box via "PeopleTools-> Integration Broker-> Integration Setup-> Service Operations". You can grant access to specific Permission Lists by clicking the "Service Operation Security" link. Create a user/role that has access to this permission list and instruct your "third party" to include a wsse security header containing the username and password in the soap message.

I don't know of any provided way to filter requests based on the requesting domain. This can be done through a reverse proxy, apache httpd with mod_rewrite for example.

Regards,

Bauke Gehem
          • 2. Re: Security for WS created using Provide Web Service Wizard
            Michel
            The PeopleBooks contain a whole chapter on how to set up secure integration between environments:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E28394_01/pt852pbh1/eng/psbooks/tiba/chapter.htm?File=tiba/htm/tiba12.htm%23gd654dc597ce9a125_6859c0_113e0a8d2fe__7e5d

I've linked the 8.52 version here, so depending on your actual tools version you might have to search for it in the books for your version.

I think there isn't an 'easiest' way when securing webservices properly. My advice would be what Bauke suggested in combination with SSL/TLS encryption. This in combination with certificates prevents any unwanted access.