This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 9:59 AM by Jeff Smith SQLDev PM RSS

Result windows/tabs moving and resizing on their own initiative

989066 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Is there any way to stop SQL Developer from moving and resizing windows of its own accord? Because if I want my windows to tile, or move, or resize, I'll tell them to. As a user, it is monstrously frustrating to have my interface bouncing around whenever it takes a notion to, without asking me first. In my opinion, it's a violation of one of the primary laws of software development, which is not to make decisions for the user. Failing this, are there any alternatives to SQL developer? By the way, while we're talking user unfriendliness, does it really make sense to have the log in page on this site auto focus the password field? every time I come to the page and start typing my username, it moves into the password field OF ITS OWN ACCORD, and I end up typing more than half of my user name in the password field, and then having to stop and make corrections because your software is like a developmentally challenged child whose intentions are good, but performance leaves something to be desired. I'd also recommend repopulating the user name field on a validation failure, since making people retype that is kinda bad UI design, even worse when they're retyping and it puts half the user name in the password field AGAIN!
  • 1. Re: Result windows/tabs moving and resizing on their own initiative
    Jim Smith Expert
    Can you clarify what you mean? A results pane will appear under a worksheet if there isn't already one there, splitting the worksheet horizontally. The messages pane will appear when needed it if isn't already open. Apart from that, I can't think of any automatic window movement or resizing.

Almost everything can be moved around by dragging, and place in separate groups horizontally or vertically, or left floating if you want. But you have to explicitly drag them.

What version of SQL Developer? What JDK? What OS?

The oracle single sign-on login screen is not really a matter for this forum but for what it's worth, in my experience, it retains the last username so the password focus is appropriate, and it does repopulate the username field on failure.

BTW, on the subject of good UI design. Have you heard of sentences? Paragraphs?
  • 2. Re: Result windows/tabs moving and resizing on their own initiative
    riedelme Expert
    986063 wrote:
    Is there any way to stop SQL Developer from moving and resizing windows of its own accord? Because if I want my windows to tile, or move, or resize, I'll tell them to. As a user, it is monstrously frustrating to have my interface bouncing around whenever it takes a notion to, without asking me first. In my opinion, it's a violation of one of the primary laws of software development, which is not to make decisions for the user. Failing this, are there any alternatives to SQL developer? By the way, while we're talking user unfriendliness, does it really make sense to have the log in page on this site auto focus the password field?
    I have the same probbem. I assumed it due to too many features provided - extra hot keys (or clicks) implemented to move, resize windows etc that kick in when I am trying (possibly incorreclty) to get focus on something.

Thanks for the post. I look forward to other replies.
  • 3. Re: Result windows/tabs moving and resizing on their own initiative
    Jeff Smith SQLDev PM ACE Moderator
    Please clarify - what panels/windows are moving or re-sizing, and under what conditions? Can you please provide an example?
  • 4. Re: Result windows/tabs moving and resizing on their own initiative
    856492 Newbie
    Jeff, this also happening for me every time I use SQL Developer. Typically only one database connection established. After I have about 5 worksheets open, one of the tabs "jumps" out of the group and everything splits; the single tab that moved out is either the at top or bottom and at that point I not been able to move it back into same position. I can rearrange the 2 panes side-to-side or top/bottom but they want to stay separate. For me, I don't recall it ever happening right when a new worksheet is opened. I can be using the same worksheets for 10 or 20 minutes and then it moves. From the about tab: Version 3.2.20.09, Build MAIN-09.87, Java Platform 1.6.0_35, Oracle IDE 3.2.20.09.87
  • 5. Re: Result windows/tabs moving and resizing on their own initiative
    riedelme Expert
    Jeff Smith SQLDev PM wrote:
    Please clarify - what panels/windows are moving or re-sizing, and under what conditions? Can you please provide an example?
    I will be working in the SQL worksheet with multile tabs open (sql worksheet, table data, etc) when suddenly the tabls will re-arrange. The effect I see is similar to manually choosing the New Editor Tab Group option by right clicking on a tab and is fixable by choosing the Collapse Editor Tab Group option which appears by right clicking on a tab after this happens. There is some shortcut to the New Editor Tab Group display that I don't want to use but keep hitting accidentally

This is probably an intentional feature of SQL*Developer. Lkely something I am doing but that fact that it happens unintenionally is annoying.

Edited by: riedelme on Feb 5, 2013 9:00 AM
  • 6. Re: Result windows/tabs moving and resizing on their own initiative
    Jeff Smith SQLDev PM ACE Moderator
    Thanks for going into the detail in describing the behavior you're observing.

Unfortunately it only deepens the mystery. We don't have keyboard accelerators avail for Split or New Doc Tab Group document calls.

Is it possible that you're 'fat fingering' your mouse near the upper right hand corner of your document?

http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/sidebyside3.png

Clicking or dragging here will split the document.

The feature in general is described here
    http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2011/11/sql-developer-quick-hit-split-and-side-by-side-editors/

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points