This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 5:16 AM by 989273 RSS

Setup needed to call a tuxedo service from a different machine

989273 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I tried to search for the subject but I couldn't find a clear indication on the subject.

I have a scenario where I need to call a Tuxedo Service from a different server (machine) than the one where Tuxedo is installed.

What I need to know if it's possible and what exactly is the setup needed on this machine?

Any help is appreciated.

Wassim

Edited by: 986270 on Feb 5, 2013 8:21 AM
  • 1. Re: Setup needed to call a tuxedo service from a different machine
    Todd Little Expert
    Hi Wassim,

Can you give a little more background and what you are trying to accomplish?

If the machine that is making the call doesn't have Tuxedo installed on it (either full Tuxedo install or the client-only install), then you would have to use something like a web service client. If you want to use standard Tuxedo APIs instead, then you would need at a minimum the Tuxedo client install on the machine. If you have just the Tuxedo client installed, then you would be using the workstation protocol and would need to configure a WSL on the machine hosting the service.

If full Tuxedo is installed on both machines, you can either configure the two machines as separate single machine domains (SHM mode), or configure them as a cluster (MP mode). In the former case, i.e., two separate domains, you would configure the Tuxedo domain gateway on each system to allow services to be shared between the domains. In the second case where the machines are clustered by Tuxedo, then there is nothing to do as Tuxedo will be able to route the request to the machine where the server offering the service is located.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Todd Little
    Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect
  • 2. Re: Setup needed to call a tuxedo service from a different machine
    989273 Newbie
    Hi Todd,

Thanks a lot. This clears things up. Actually I was trying to decide what the best approach is. But most probably I will be using the standard Tuxedo API from the other machine so I will be configuring WSL on the machine hosting the servers. But in this case, any special configuration for the client? They will share the same typed buffers definitions so should these buffers be defined on both machines?

EDIT
    To make it more clear, I have 2 different systems (let's call them system A and system B) with one having tuxedo servers and services (B). I need to be able to call these services from system A. What I am trying to do is integrate tuxedo calls into system A code (all C code) and trying to get the best performance possible

Thanks again,
    Wassim

Edited by: 986270 on Feb 6, 2013 12:41 AM

Edited by: 986270 on Feb 6, 2013 4:31 AM
  • 3. Re: Setup needed to call a tuxedo service from a different machine
    Todd Little Expert
    Hi Wassim,

From what you describe you will need to install the Tuxedo client on system A and as well if you are using FML, FML32, VIEW, or VIEW32 buffers then you will need to copy the FML field tables and/or the VIEW descriptions to system A. You will also need a supported C compiler on system A and configure the WSL on system B as I mentioned before. That should do it for you.

Regards,
    Todd Little
    Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect
  • 4. Re: Setup needed to call a tuxedo service from a different machine
    989273 Newbie
    Thanks a lot Todd.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points