This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 5:51 AM by Nicolas.Gasparotto RSS

Occupation DJ?

jgarry Guru
Currently Being Moderated
Who is this guy and why is he allowed to post commercial announcements? https://forums.oracle.com/forums/profile.jspa?userID=952168
  • 1. Re: Occupation DJ?
    BrianW-Oracle Guru Moderator
    He is authorized to post those and it is a directive from the OTN Community manager to do so. Please leave those in place
  • 2. Re: Occupation DJ?
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Oh darn... what am I then suppose to do with this? +<gesturing with the torch and pitchfork>+

;-)
  • 3. Re: Occupation DJ?
    jgarry Guru
    It is perfectly acceptable for Oracle to do whatever they want with these forums. I would ask the community manager to please set aside another forum for commercial announcements. A sticky like this at the top of General is just asking every marketeer in the world to post similar things.

I would also point out that any commercial message ought not be done by masked figures. If it is legitimate, it should be a real and have a contact.

Even Forbes is helping Oracle get negative press with its Brandvoice sockpuppets: http://www.horsesforsources.com/forbes-fooled_013012
  • 4. Re: Occupation DJ?
    EJP Guru
    I would ask the community manager to please set aside another forum for commercial announcements. A sticky like this at the top of General is just asking every marketeer in the world to post similar things.
    I agree completely.
    I would also point out that any commercial message ought not be done by masked figures. If it is legitimate, it should be a real and have a contact.
    Again I agree completely.

This is a misjudgement on Oracle's part. Nobody reads the stickies anyway, even the important ones, and devaluing them by posting irrelevant commercial junk just degrades the whole forum system.
  • 5. Re: Occupation DJ?
    Feel free to send your comments to otnfeedback_us@oracle.com and they'll be forwarded on
  • 6. Re: Occupation DJ?
    EJP Guru
    Pardon me but I have already made my comments, here, in this forum, whose title is 'Community Feedback and Suggestions'. Perhaps given that you have now had two community members, both very long-term members (1997 in my case), and both community moderators, make the same comments, the feedback and suggestions could be forwarded wherever necessary? without further ado?
  • 7. Re: Occupation DJ?
    It will be, however, giving your feedback directly will allow for better two-way communication about your concerns rather than in an open forum.
  • 8. Re: Occupation DJ?
    jgarry Guru
    But I don't want two way communications. I want the group to come to a consensus (ok, haha you herd of cats), and Oracle to understand what social media is and isn't.

I'm still a fan of Oracle, the technical database thingee. I don't like seeing a useful forum go downhill.
  • 9. Re: Occupation DJ?
    2889 Journeyer
    brwalke_us wrote:
    He is authorized to post those and it is a directive from the OTN ......
    ??????

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22OTN+Community+manager%22+oracle+forum

??????
  • 10. Re: Occupation DJ?
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Why weren't those spam announcements created to be self-expiring?
    Is anyone tasked with removing them once the glitter of "everything needs to be done in *+The Cloud+*" becomes passé ?

It's utterly inappropriate to plaster them to all those forums.
    If someone is curious about the subject, they're more likely to investigate it at a corporate home page than deep into the header of some discussion forum, somewhere. Additionally, if someone is already familiar with the forums, they already know that there are Cloud-specific sub-forums (which are pitifully inactive) that they can go to to seek information.

I put this same response into the other thread on this issue, as well:
    This is bull..
  • 11. Re: Occupation DJ?
    sonyabarry Guru Moderator
    Apology and explanation here: Re: This is bull..

Sonya
  • 12. Re: Occupation DJ?
    jgarry Guru
    Welcome to the forums! Please see the user FAQ ;-)

Please understand when I criticize something, I'm trying to do it constructively, whether it looks that way or not. I've been doing this online forum thing since the days of acoustic modems, so I may have some opinions that seem like experience to me, and old-fogey to others. Even though it seems at times like I'm a lone voice in the wilderness, I know if I think something, it is likely that I'm not really alone. I may be the only one willing to say it out loud.

There needs to be a place strictly for technical discussions, free from distracting marketing, free from over-zealous moderation. Things can deteriorate amazingly fast.

There are many really smart people here, don't chase them away.

Welcome to the forums.
  • 13. Re: Occupation DJ?
    sonyabarry Guru Moderator
    Thanks! I've been lurking a bit to get an idea of where to start, and that FAQ is going to get a makeover shortly. :)

I've been working in community management and directly with developers since 2005 when I started at Sun, and I have a masters degree in CS myself. I have no intention of chasing the smart people away or allowing this space to be overcome by marketing campaigns. There are times when I receive orders to put something up on a site, and if Oracle pays the bills I do have to comply, but in this case it was done badly. When we do the upgrade I'll work in a better spot in the new template for these sorts of things, but I promise this will never be a place with a bunch of ads and no serious content. Mel did as he was told, and I didn't realize exactly what that meant until it was done. And BTW, if you didn't see it in the other thread, Mel B. is his real name, and he really does have a side job as a DJ. Definitely not a spice girl.
  • 14. Re: Occupation DJ?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Hi Sonya,
    sonyabarry wrote:
    Thanks! I've been lurking a bit to get an idea of where to start, and that FAQ is going to get a makeover shortly. :)
    If you haven't already, you may like to pick out bits from the SQL and PL/SQL forum FAQ: {thread:id=2174552}
    Most regular members on that forum appear to have seen it as a good place to point people. Obviously it has things specific to that forum, but there's also the general useful things like:

{message:id=9359970}
    {message:id=9360002}
    {message:id=9698382}
    I've been working in community management and directly with developers since 2005 when I started at Sun, and I have a masters degree in CS myself. I have no intention of chasing the smart people away or allowing this space to be overcome by marketing campaigns. There are times when I receive orders to put something up on a site, and if Oracle pays the bills I do have to comply, but in this case it was done badly. When we do the upgrade I'll work in a better spot in the new template for these sorts of things, but I promise this will never be a place with a bunch of ads and no serious content. Mel did as he was told, and I didn't realize exactly what that meant until it was done. And BTW, if you didn't see it in the other thread, Mel B. is his real name, and he really does have a side job as a DJ. Definitely not a spice girl.
    :)

Talking of the pending upgrade... I sure hope the one main consideration has been members privacy rights.
    You may not be aware of what has happened in the past, but there was a time when something to do with single-sign-on would occasionally fail (not sure of the exact details), and rather than people's handles getting displayed (in my case BluShadow), it would replace that with the members login username, which doesn't sound too bad until you realise that many members log in with their email address as their username, so (you guessed it) people's email addresses were being displayed all over the forum (ready to be picked up by spam bots and people who think they can get better help by contacting people directly on their works email rather than post their questions on the forum). I, and many other members were not impressed... and then they made me a moderator LOL! :D
    Fortunately, measures were eventually put in place so that when that issue happened it displayed the members userID (numeric ID) rather than the email address, so that is no longer an issue, but I'd hate to see a forum 'upgrade' re-introducing such a problem.
    Just something constructive for you to include in your checklist if you haven't already. ;)
1 2 Previous Next