7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 11:23 AM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

Upgrade Oracle Apps 11i ( 11.5.10.2 ) to 12.1.1 on AIX Questions

hi all,

i have few questions regarding the above subject

Q1 : during the upgrade the installer asks to input Oracle Database owner and BASE directory , and port pool and ...etc

is it a new location with new user or it should be the same of 11i BASE directory and the same ports

Q2 : once i'm done with the code tree ( first step ) how we can link the R12 instance with the exisiting database 11g ( 11.2.0.2 )?

brief explanation would be great

Regards,
      Samer
        • 1. Re: Upgrade Oracle Apps 11i ( 11.5.10.2 ) to 12.1.1 on AIX Questions
          EBSDBA
          ALJazzar wrote:
          hi all,

i have few questions regarding the above subject

Q1 : during the upgrade the installer asks to input Oracle Database owner and BASE directory , and port pool and ...etc

is it a new location with new user or it should be the same of 11i BASE directory and the same ports
          It should be done with the same Application owner, and the base can be changed if you want. But the port pool must be same.

Q2 : once i'm done with the code tree ( first step ) how we can link the R12 instance with the exisiting database 11g ( 11.2.0.2 )?

brief explanation would be great
          At the time of upgrade, it asks you the database details. Here you have to put your existing database details like hostname, port etc.

Thanks
          • 2. Re: Upgrade Oracle Apps 11i ( 11.5.10.2 ) to 12.1.1 on AIX Questions
            thanks mate ,

do i need to bring down dbTier and appsTier while installing the code tree?

when the system needs to be down and in which step?

1- plan for the upgrade ( code tree )....> the system should be down or not? which part?

2- the real upgrade ? ( confgiure the upgraded code tree ) -->the system should be down or not? which part?

thanks
            Samer
            • 3. Re: Upgrade Oracle Apps 11i ( 11.5.10.2 ) to 12.1.1 on AIX Questions
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              ALJazzar wrote:
              thanks mate ,

do i need to bring down dbTier and appsTier while installing the code tree?
              No.
              when the system needs to be down and in which step?

1- plan for the upgrade ( code tree )....> the system should be down or not? which part?
              Step "Run Rapid Install (required)" -- http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18727_01/doc.121/e16342/T527285T527359.htm

You do not need to bring the 11i application or database down.
              2- the real upgrade ? ( confgiure the upgraded code tree ) -->the system should be down or not? which part?
              The application should be down but NOT the database. The database remains open all the time when you upgrade from 11i to R12.

Perform the Upgrade -- http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18727_01/doc.121/e16342/T527285T527419.htm#5236325

Configure and start server processes (required) -- http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18727_01/doc.121/e16342/T527285T527419.htm#5236559

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: Upgrade Oracle Apps 11i ( 11.5.10.2 ) to 12.1.1 on AIX Questions
                OraErrorDetector
                Thanks Hussein ,

one more question

the Oracle Base directory should be the existing one or new one?

thanks

Edited by: OraErrorDetector on Feb 6, 2013 11:43 PM
                • 5. Re: Upgrade Oracle Apps 11i ( 11.5.10.2 ) to 12.1.1 on AIX Questions
                  OraErrorDetector
                  sorry for asking too many questions as i'm going through out the process right now and i need some clarifications

when the code tree is over , what i need to do next ( after applying all the required 11i patches )

?
                  Thanks
                  • 6. Re: Upgrade Oracle Apps 11i ( 11.5.10.2 ) to 12.1.1 on AIX Questions
                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                    OraErrorDetector wrote:
                    Thanks Hussein ,

one more question

the Oracle Base directory should be the existing one or new one?

thanks

Edited by: OraErrorDetector on Feb 6, 2013 11:43 PM
                    The Base directory field defaults to a sample directory name, using the operating system syntax for the machine where you started the Rapid Install wizard. This directory is the top-level directory that Rapid Install uses to derive the mount points associated with the RDBMS.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18727_01/doc.121/e12842/T422699g54568.htm#standard-installations

Thanks,
                    Hussein
                    • 7. Re: Upgrade Oracle Apps 11i ( 11.5.10.2 ) to 12.1.1 on AIX Questions
                      Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                      OraErrorDetector wrote:
                      sorry for asking too many questions as i'm going through out the process right now and i need some clarifications

when the code tree is over , what i need to do next ( after applying all the required 11i patches )
                      Please refer to the upgrade doc (link referenced above), it shows all the steps you need to follow.

Thanks,
                      Hussein