This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 8:22 PM by Step_Into_Oracle_DBA RSS

SYSDBA privilege

user13549752 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
DB:11.2.0.3

I have given sysdba privilege to one of the user "TEST" in primary database. To connect to the physical standby database using TEST user remotely, do i need to use the same password as sys or can i store the TEST password in the password file.
  • 1. Re: SYSDBA privilege
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;
    I have given sysdba privilege to one of the user "TEST" in primary database. To connect to the physical standby database using TEST user remotely, do i need to use the same password as sys or can i store the TEST password in the password file.
    You can use same password to connect your standby system wihtout doing anything on standby side

Regard
    Helios
  • 2. Re: SYSDBA privilege
    Rob_J Journeyer
    Hi,

I think that you have to use the same password for a physical standby database with Data Guard as is on the primary DB. If you don't the archivelogs will not be shipped and you'll get some errors.

Also, I think you need to have a password file on the physical standby server which is used, unless you have OS authentication enabled. It depends which method you are using. I could be wrong but that's what I thought.

Rob
  • 3. Re: SYSDBA privilege
    Step_Into_Oracle_DBA Explorer
    Standby Database can be connected by using SYSDBA or SYSOPER privilege.

If you use SYSDBA, the user you login will be SYS user.

If you use SYSOPER, the user you login will be PUBLIC user.

So there is no need to create a new user in Primary and Assign SYSDBA privilege to login standby database. You can use SYS user to login to the STANDBY database.

SYS Password for Primary & Standby Database should be same. Best option is to ftp the primary Password File and Put in Standby database Location.

Please Mark you Post as Answered or Helpful, if it served your needs.

Thanks & Regards,
    SID

(StepIntoOracleDBA)

Email : stepintooracledba@gmail.com

http://stepintooracledba.blogspot.in/

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points