6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 5:12 AM by 989690 RSS

Oracle Database Hangs After Upgrade To 11g EE

Hello!
      My office is having peculiar problems with the oracle database since the last few months..Since i do not consider myself well versed with oracle softwares, let me put it like this-

The office consists of 10 workstations and 1 IBM server (2 xeon proccesors and 8 GB RAM). Our primary work is data entry.
      Previously, we had Windows Server 2003 R2 and Oracle Database 9 Edition (dont remember if its 9 or 9.2 or something other).All the operations was going smooth until the servers HDD crashed.The Hardware maintenance guys replaced the HDD and installed windows server 2008 with Oracle 11g Express Edition.

Since then, the oracle hangs unexpectedly. this happens more often whenever a user tries to finally save the form. also sometimes the form automatically resets just like someone cut the link.This happens simultaneously to all the users.Also, if someone goes and refreshes the desktop of the server while the database is not responding, it starts responding again and works normally until the problem happens again.

I am confused what is causing the problem. the hardware? the windows? oracle?. they have installed 32bit win server 2008. is it because of that? or is it the Express Edition thats causing the problem?or is there something else?

The hardware guys are also confused and the oracle administrator we have is of no help.I am are losing a lot of productivity for this issue. Since i have no knowledge on oracle products, i would be of great help if someone can help me out here or can atleast tell me what to do so i can tell the oracle administrator the same.

Thanking Everyone a lot
      Chirag
        • 1. Re: Oracle Database Hangs After Upgrade To 11g EE
          Krishna-Oracle
          Hi Chirag,
          Express edition has very less features, not sure whether your application is using features beyond express edition.
          We advise you to use Enterprise edition where all the features are available.

Thanks,
          Krishna
          • 2. Re: Oracle Database Hangs After Upgrade To 11g EE
            Rob_J
            Hi,

Whatever version of Oracle you are using it shouldn't hang so I doubt it's to do with it being Oracle EE. I assume you are using Oracle forms to add the data into the database, or is it some other application?

What is the database administrator (DBA) saying about it? Does he sya that he can't see any problems in the database?

At a high level you need to look at all of the components and look for something abnormal. For example:
            <ul>
            <li>Check CPU load, disk load on all of the servers - are you running the application on the same server as the DB?</li>
            <li>Get the DBA to look at the state of the DB, using AWR if possible (he should know what this is)</li>
            <li>Ensure that there are no network problems, such as a firewall killing off sessions after X minutes, etc. (on a related note, does it hang if you add data quickly all the time? I'm just thinking that maybe it times out)</li>
            </ul>
            It's very difficult with this level of information to give any solid advice because not much is known. It just hangs is hard to diagnose because you need to know where it is hanging. Hopefully looking at all of hte individual parts will help identify where the cause is, then we can dig deeper.

Hope that helps to start with,
            Rob
            • 3. Re: Oracle Database Hangs After Upgrade To 11g EE
              Hello Rob J and thank you for your support.I have closely followed your questions and have also asked the oracle admin to , Get the DBA to look at the state of the DB, using AWR. I have also checked the CPU/DISK usage and the reports are normal.I will also disable the Firewall according to your suggestions and report back to you. Thank you very much for giving time to my problem.I will reply back to your questions once i get the full report.In the meantime, if you need any more data please let me know.

Chirag
              • 4. Re: Oracle Database Hangs After Upgrade To 11g EE
                JohnWatson
                986687 wrote:
                Hello Rob J and thank you for your support.I have closely followed your questions and have also asked the oracle admin to , Get the DBA to look at the state of the DB, using AWR. I have also checked the CPU/DISK usage and the reports are normal.I will also disable the Firewall according to your suggestions and report back to you. Thank you very much for giving time to my problem.I will reply back to your questions once i get the full report.In the meantime, if you need any more data please let me know.

Chirag
                Your problem could be the Oracle licence. Express Edition can use only 1G of RAM and 1 CPU, whereas your 9i release may have had no such limits. You could buy a Standard Edition 1 licence, it is only USD180 per named user and then you can use the full power of your server.
                By the way, you can't look at the AWR, that would be illegal without Enterprise Edition plus giagnostics pack.
                --
                John Watson
                http://skillbuilders.com
                • 5. Re: Oracle Database Hangs After Upgrade To 11g EE
                  Srini Chavali-Oracle
                  Pl clarify which version was installed - Enterprise Edition or Express Edition. The Express Edition (XE) has limited features and AFAIK does not have AWR capabilities.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/license.112/e18068/toc.htm#BABJBGGA

HTH
                  Srini
                  • 6. Re: Oracle Database Hangs After Upgrade To 11g EE
                    Thanks for the help JohnWatson and Srini Chavali. Following your advice, i have decided to upgrage to the enterprise edition of oracle 11g. I will also upgrade the 32 bit windows to 64 bit. If i still face difficulty, i will let you know.

Chirag.