5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 11:01 AM by mseberg RSS

Possible to rman duplicate & oracle upgrade at the same time?

Brian Bakula
      We were hoping to be able to utilize "RMAN Restore of Backups as Part of a Database Upgrade [ID 790559.1]" and duplicate an 11.1 PRD DB to another server that only has the 11.2 software. Has anyone been able to do this?

When I attempted this, I got an error since the target DB is a earlier version than the rman client - "RMAN-06429: TARGET database is not compatible with this version of RMAN".

I tried to avoid connecting to the target database & just use the following syntax (duplicate 'prd' DBID 123456789 to 'dev') to let rman know about the backups it would need from NetBackup. That also got an error - RMAN-01009: syntax error: found "single-quoted-string": expecting one of: "database, for, target, to". I tried other variations, but also got errors.

I may try this from a disk based backup, but have to wait to get a large enough NFS mount to be able to complete this. The following syntax was in the 11.2 rman docs:
      DUPLICATE DATABASE 'PROD' dbid 8675309 to 'TEST'
      UNTIL TIME "to_date('11/01/2007', 'MM/DD/YYYY')"
      BACKUP LOCATION '/backups' NOFILENAMECHECK
      PFILE='?/dbs/inittest.ora' db_file_name_convert='prod','test';

If anyone has done this or if it is not possible to do, please let us know. Our goal is to not have to install the 11.1 software on our new servers. Also, trying to avoid restoring with the same name & then renaming the DB so that ASM would have multiple directories for the DB.
      Thanks,
      Brian

Target DB: 11.1.0.7.12 - PRD
      Auxiliary DB: 11.2.0.3.5 - DEV

MML: Veritas NetBackup for Oracle - Release 7.0

DB using ASM & OMF
        • 1. Re: Possible to rman duplicate & oracle upgrade at the same time?
          mseberg
          Brian;

The short answer is no.

The RMAN executable will not match for one. If you need a MOS document I can supply one.

Frequently Asked Questions about Restoring Or Duplicating Between Different Versions And Platforms [ID 369644.1]

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Feb 6, 2013 5:55 PM
          • 2. Re: Possible to rman duplicate & oracle upgrade at the same time?
            brunors
            Hi, don't is possible. You can do a duplicate of the database and after that, to do a his upgrade.

Kind regards,
            Bruno Reis.
            www.brunors.com
            • 3. Re: Possible to rman duplicate & oracle upgrade at the same time?
              jasthi
              yes, you can upgrade database using backup,
              source
              1.backup database plus archivelog
              2.backup current controlfile
              3.create pfile
              Target
              edit controlfile location in pfile
              1.using pfile statup nomount
              2.restore controlfile
              RMAN>restore controlfile from '<backup_controlfile_location>'
              3.startup mount
              4. regiter backup to rman
              5.restore datafile
              RMAN>run
              {
              set newname for datafile 1 to '<new location>';
              set newname for datafile 2 to '<new location>';
              set newname for datafile 8 to '<new location>';

restore database;
              switch datafile all;
              }

6.RMAN>recover database;
              login to sql

sql>alter database open resetlogs upgrade;
              sql>@catupgrde.sql
              • 4. Re: Possible to rman duplicate & oracle upgrade at the same time?
                Brian Bakula
                We are wanting to do a rename of the DB as well as the restore/recovery. If I do this, the DB would be restored as PRD vs. DEV so I would need to do a rename after the fact. Then within the DATA diskgroup, I would have a PRD directory as well as a DEV directory for any new datafiles. For example, DATA/PRD/datafile/application_data.123.4567890 for existing files (part of the restore) & then DATA/DEV/datafile/application_data.456.7890123 for newly created files (after the restore is done). We typically have more than 1 database on a server so then there would be multiple directories inside of the ASM disk group for each database. We are hoping to be able to avoid this. If there was any way to get around this, that work for us. Not sure if pre-creating aliases within ASM so that PRD went to DEV would be possible or not for something like this.
                Thanks,
                Brian
                • 5. Re: Possible to rman duplicate & oracle upgrade at the same time?
                  mseberg
                  Brian;

I have an example ( not ASM ) where you can do this :

http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/rman/restore_database_without_catalog.html

If you shutdown the remote database you can refresh using the same INIT's and scripts.

Best Regards

mseberg