This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 3:00 AM by 817136 RSS

Derived column?

817136 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

i'm using APEX 4.2.

I have two tables: ORDERS(id, prod_id, quantity) and PRODUCT(id, name, price).

I have created a tabular form page on ORDERS with a LOV to get the PRODUCT id and name.

This is working fine.

Now the tricky part (for me).

I also want the row to display (no need to save in database) the PRODUCT price and the total price (= price * quantity).

I want this to chance when i select a different PRODUCT or when i change the quantity.

I thought it could be done with derived columns but i don't see any possibilities there.

Please help.

Regards,

Joshua
  • 1. Re: Derived column?
    Mahmoud_Rabie Journeyer
    Dear Snoesky,

You can do it with Dynamic Actions.

For example see this
    Re: How to calculate fields in a form?

For Basics of Dynamic Actions
    http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/apex/r41/dynactions/dynactions.htm

If the question is answered close it as answered and give the points where earned ..

Regards
    Mahmoud
  • 2. Re: Derived column?
    817136 Newbie
    Thanks for your response.

But a Dynamic Action won't work because i have a Tabular Form with report columns instead of items.

Best regards,

Joshua
  • 3. Re: Derived column?
    fac586 Guru
    Snoesky wrote:
    Thanks for your response.

But a Dynamic Action won't work because i have a Tabular Form with report columns instead of items.
    Why won't a Dynamic Action work?
  • 4. Re: Derived column?
    817136 Newbie
    Quick reaction :-)

The tabular form shows multiple rows. The data is shown in Report Columns. When i create a DA i have to specify an Event and a Selection Type. The Event will be "Change" and for the Selection Type i would like to refer to the Report Columns.
    But that is impossible. Only items can be selected.

Best regards,

Joshua
  • 5. Re: Derived column?
    fac586 Guru
    Snoesky wrote:
    Quick reaction :-)

The tabular form shows multiple rows. The data is shown in Report Columns. When i create a DA i have to specify an Event and a Selection Type. The Event will be "Change" and for the Selection Type i would like to refer to the Report Columns.
    But that is impossible. Only items can be selected.
    Incorrect. Anything can be selected using a jQuery selector. For example, controls in a tabular form column: +{message:id=9204302}+
  • 6. Re: Derived column?
    Tom Petrus Expert
    It is not impossible. Understand that all items on a page, whether they are page items or items in a tabular form, are just html input elements. This means you can target each element with a jQuery selector. If the selector targets multiple elements (array) then binding an event to this collection would let each element in this collection trigger this event.
    So when you target all input elements in a given column and bind an on-change event to them, it would work just like when you bind an on-change event to an item.
    So when creatinga dynamic action you can choose 'jQuery Selector' instead of 'Item(s)' as triggering element. However, setting the value of another column on the same row will require javascript and not a set value action. Targetting columns in another column on the same has been discussed many times on the forum.
    However, if you're not familiar with html/dom and even javascript, you've sure picked a solution that requires you to at least understand you know what you're doing. I'd not recommend just copying code over without understanding why it does what.
  • 7. Re: Derived column?
    817136 Newbie
    Oke, i understand, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Report Column: KTN_NAME

DA: TEST, Event double click, selection type Jquery and for the Selector i have looked at the html page source and found that KTN_NAME has id="fmap_004"

So do i use this? like #fmap_004

True Action: Alert "Help"

Now when i double click in de KTN_NAME column nothing happens.
  • 8. Re: Derived column?
    fac586 Guru
    Snoesky wrote:

DA: TEST, Event double click, selection type Jquery and for the Selector i have looked at the html page source and found that KTN_NAME has id="fmap_004"

Now when i double click in de KTN_NAME column nothing happens.
    What does the KTN_NAME column contain?
  • 9. Re: Derived column?
    817136 Newbie
    Just text. The name of the product. It is updateble.
  • 10. Re: Derived column?
    fac586 Guru
    Snoesky wrote:
    Just text. The name of the product. It is updateble.
    In terms of HTML elements? "It is updateable" does not fit with my concept of "just text".
  • 11. Re: Derived column?
    817136 Newbie
    <input type="hidden" name="fmap" value="KTN_NAME" id="fmap_004" />
  • 12. Re: Derived column?
    fac586 Guru
    fac586 wrote:
    Snoesky wrote:

Event: Click

Selection Type: jQuery

Selector: <tt>td[headers="KTN_NAME"] input</tt>

Condition: No Condition

True Actions: Execute JavaScript Code
    alert('Foo');
    Uncheck Fire On Page Load

As Tom points out above, the real challenge is in getting the JS code executed to perform the necessary processing in the affected row...
  • 13. Re: Derived column?
    817136 Newbie
    It works!!! Thanks a lot.

But i still don't understand why #fmap_004 doesn't work.

Edited by: Snoesky on 8-feb-2013 2:32
  • 14. Re: Derived column?
    Tom Petrus Expert
    That is how jQuery selectors work. For example, the #-sign is an ID selector: http://api.jquery.com/id-selector/ . As the documentation says, this uses the javascript document.getElementById() function. Using "#fmap_004" would be targetting a single element with id "fmap_004", which is not what you want. The "fmap" items are also -not- the items which hold your values in the tabular form, they are a mapping generated by apex.

You might do yourself a service and read up on some basic javascript principles, and then hop over to some jQuery stuff (such as selectors http://api.jquery.com/category/selectors/). Get some decent debugging tools, such as Firebug for Firefox, which allow you to easily inspect the html and dom, and debug and run javascript code efficiently.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points