5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 12:36 PM by user2220875 RSS

Valid search words to determine if 'relink all' failed

user2220875
      Hello. I am working on a procedure to automate Oracle "relink all" commands after O/S patching. I'm looking for an opinion on valid search words to 'grep' for in the stderr output. We have Oracle V10.2.0.5 (not for much longer) and V11.2.0.3 running on RHEL5 x86_64 (plus one SunOS sparc 5.10). I've reviewed old relink output logs and found messages like:

1) make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `install'

2) make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

3) /usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file ldapadd: Permission denied
      collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
      make: *** [ldapadd] Error 1

4) rm: cannot remove `/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/srvm/lib/libsrvm10.def': No such file or directory
      make: *** [libsrvm10.so] Error 1

5) mv: cannot stat `/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/bin/ctxload': No such file or directory
      make: [ictxload] Error 1 (ignored)

1,2,3 - all valid errors that needed attention
      5 - Error that can be 'ignored'
      4 - This error did not have '(ignore)' but upon review was an ignorable error because it was trying to remove a temp file that was never written to.

I've decided to grep for these words (case ignored): stop, fatal, exit
      I was going to add "error" to this list (excluding any "error" that also has "(ignored)"), but because of #4, I left this search out. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to miss a critical error by doing this, but I figured any critical error would also contain one of the other 3 words.

Any comments on this logic?

Thanks!