This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 3:04 PM by 989843 RSS

Oracle 8.0.5 to MySQL... is that possible?

989843 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, i work for a company that have a Oracle 8.0.5 in production and now they want to migrate to a MySQL.... well I'm not the DB guy and they dosent have the money to hire one... so i decide to start research about the possibilities to do that...

Googling around I found a software that appears to magic( i dont know if i can say the name here so I'll not), they transfer data from Oracle to MySQL 5.0.1 and i decide to give it a shot. When i try to connect to the Oracle database i receive a error ORA-12541: no listener.

Researching again i found that i dont have the file listener.ora, so i decide to start the listener, lsnrctl start, but the oracle don't have even that command... giving me command not found...

So now im stucked.... could you guys please give me a hand here...

If you guys know a better solution (easy one) to migrate the data please tell me....;)

Tks!

PS: sorry for the bad english...
  • 1. Re: Oracle 8.0.5 to MySQL... is that possible?
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    ORA-12541: no listener.
    Did you check your Listener
    lsnrctl status
  • 2. Re: Oracle 8.0.5 to MySQL... is that possible?
    sb92075 Guru
    user12871419 wrote:
    Hi, i work for a company that have a Oracle 8.0.5 in production and now they want to migrate to a MySQL.... well I'm not the DB guy and they dosent have the money to hire one... so i decide to start research about the possibilities to do that...

Googling around I found a software that appears to magic( i dont know if i can say the name here so I'll not), they transfer data from Oracle to MySQL 5.0.1 and i decide to give it a shot. When i try to connect to the Oracle database i receive a error ORA-12541: no listener.

Researching again i found that i dont have the file listener.ora, so i decide to start the listener, lsnrctl start, but the oracle don't have even that command... giving me command not found...

So now im stucked.... could you guys please give me a hand here...

If you guys know a better solution (easy one) to migrate the data please tell me....;)

Tks!

PS: sorry for the bad english...
    You must be logged on to the DB Server as the same OS owner who owns the Oracle directories.
    What is Operating System name & version that runs the DB Server system?
  • 3. Re: Oracle 8.0.5 to MySQL... is that possible?
    989843 Newbie
    Hi thanks for answer, im logged with Os owner, but when i try to run the command at the prompt it returns:
    lsnrctl is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Im running a windows Server 2003 R2. Tks
  • 4. Re: Oracle 8.0.5 to MySQL... is that possible?
    sb92075 Guru
    user12871419 wrote:
    Hi thanks for answer, im logged with Os owner, but when i try to run the command at the prompt it returns:
    lsnrctl is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Im running a windows Server 2003 R2. Tks
    use Window File Search facility to locate if/where lsnrctl.exe file resides of this system
  • 5. Re: Oracle 8.0.5 to MySQL... is that possible?
    989843 Newbie
    Thanks i found it in
    D:\oracd\NT_X86\SQLNET\NET23\SERVER

but when i try to execute the error popup:
    This application has failed to start because NNFDNT.dll was not found...
  • 6. Re: Oracle 8.0.5 to MySQL... is that possible?
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    Something seems rather odd here (actually, multiple things seem odd)...

Oracle 8.0.5 is an ancient version of Oracle. It was desupported when I got out of college 15 years ago and was designed to run on Windows NT. Yet you say that you're running it on Windows 2003 R2. Oracle 9.2, a version of Oracle that is at least 5 major releases and a decade more recent than 8.0.5, didn't even support Windows 2003 initially (I think a later patchset might have but I'm too lazy to look it up on Metalink). It seems highly unlikely to me that you would be able to get that version of Oracle installed on that version of Windows without a rather heroic amount of effort.

You say that the database is in production. That implies that people are using it. Can anyone from any application connect to the database? If so, assuming those applications are running on a different machine than the server, by definition that means that the listener must be up (it is possible that the listener is running on a different server though that seems wildly unlikely).

You say that you're not a database guy so I'm tending to be suspicious that something in your description isn't quite what you expect it is. Are you sure that you're looking at the right server, that you're really running 8.0.5, etc?

Justin
  • 7. Re: Oracle 8.0.5 to MySQL... is that possible?
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    user12871419 wrote:
    Thanks i found it in
    D:\oracd\NT_X86\SQLNET\NET23\SERVER

but when i try to execute the error popup:
    This application has failed to start because NNFDNT.dll was not found...
    http://www.topckit.com/error_dll/NNFDNT.dll.html
  • 8. Re: Oracle 8.0.5 to MySQL... is that possible?
    989843 Newbie
    I will post some screen shots right away... i can connect with sqlplus on it i will show to u... and its in production for sure... its a system use to activate the accounts in ISP Division... used every single minute...

This database is from 13 years ago exactly i was in the company already when they installed it... one day its crashed and they migrate to another server...

Well i'll take the SS and post, just a moment.

Tks
  • 9. Re: Oracle 8.0.5 to MySQL... is that possible?
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    First, I don't believe the forum software allows you to upload screen shots.

Second, if you're really running in the configuration you say you're running in, please be aware that this is likely extremely fragile. I would be insanely cautious about attempting to fix a missing DLL issue or making any sort of configuration change to a production server running such an extremely unsupported configuration. It would be very, very easy to fix one problem and introduce two much bigger problems. Frankly, I wouldn't want to touch such a server with a 10 foot pole.

Justin
  • 10. Re: Oracle 8.0.5 to MySQL... is that possible?
    989843 Newbie
    here is it

• 11. Re: Oracle 8.0.5 to MySQL... is that possible?
    989843 Newbie
    Yeah tks for the warning, i know that that too... im not going to try to fix it that way... will try to do in another way...

I can connect to the db with the old java driver i have found... i have create a connection pool in glassfish with this db and with a mysql... so now what im thinking is to map all the entities with JPA and transfer it with java... well will take a month to do but i think it works well..

what do you guys think about that approach?

Tks again!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points