This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 6:33 PM by 974334 RSS

Hiding series that are return null or 0 values in flash charts

974334 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

I am creating a stacked bar chart with multiple series ( about 15-20 series) and some of the series return null/0 values, but they still get displayed on the chart... This is not visually appealing as the values of several null series in a stacked chart overlap with each other ... is there any way I can add a condition somewhere to hide those series that return null/0 values and not display them on the chart?

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
  • 1. Re: Hiding series that are return null or 0 values in flash charts
    Howard (... in Training) Pro
    Would you check closely because I thought nulls did not display? Zero values do display. I found this useful once.
    But typically it is visually unexpected when you have, for example, a zero height 3-D column bar. If you were doing it by hand, you would leave a space but omit the bar all together. I doubt that can be done in a chart.

They had to choose an interpretation. Does zero mean disappear or does it mean chart a zero? I think zeros plot and nulls don't -- what value would they plot?

If indeed nulls do not display, you could preprocess the data changing zeros to nulls before plotting. But be aware that the entire column will likely disappear if all the data entries for a label are null. I'm sure that is what I experienced. Fine if you want that,

In fact, I had multiple data sets to chart: OC data, OO dat, WR data (3 sites, 4 data points per day) which sorted nicely and I added a (0, null, null, null) data point as a spacer between columns.

Perhaps someone else knows of something that can help.

Regards,
    Howard
  • 2. Re: Hiding series that are return null or 0 values in flash charts
    974334 Newbie
    Hi Howard

Thanks so much. You are right, null values do not display the value, though 0 values do. I took your suggestion and returned null values for those that have '0' values. It works for me now.

Thanks so much for your help.

Padma.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points